Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 17, 2008   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default Celebrating our Irish roots...er root crops

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/op...in&oref=slogin

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

Jennifer
Old March 19, 2008   #2
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jennifer and a belated St. Patricks day to you and anyone with Irish roots. That was a very interesting article about the famine. Its not often you get some background info on where it began or what other countries it affected. Hope you gad an enjoyable day. We had a hugh and very colourful parade here with many american and canadian bands here. It was also a bank holiday monday so the whole weekend eas given over to funfairs, fireworks, parades and many other events. We irish know how to enjoy ourselves.
Old March 21, 2008   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Every day is like a St. Patrick's day to me in my potato research.

I am getting ready to plant some of my Irish Potatoes (Lumpers) grown my most Irish up until the 1845 start of the potato famine. My Lumpers are certified by me on organic grown to be free of disease. My start came from Ireland via Canada, then through a lab in Colorado and now in Washington. It is an expensive process to do this.

My Lumpers is a white potato but I am rapidly using it in introgression with many other varieties in a breeding project. Lump O'Gold is my best to date.
I like the yield and flavor, yellow flesh, LBlight res cross from Lumpers to Tollocan from Mexico. This spring I am growing from true seed the Lump O'Gold crossed to Tom Kaighin. Tom Kaighin is my best flavored potato to date, and was named for my Grandfather Kaighin's grandfather Tom Kaighin, born on the Isle of Man, an island in the middle of the Irish Sea. He spoke nothing but Manx, but his words of wisdom on planting potatoes was passed down to me.

If anyone wants to plant certified Lumpers potatoes, give me a Private Email.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote