Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2013   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default American Gardener magazine article

I received a complimentary copy of American Gardener in the mail today with a note that I was quoted on pages 35 and 36. It is fairly entertaining to read. Most interesting fact: Craig Lehoullier wrote it. Oddball fact: Pic of Anna Russian is a beefsteak tomato. Writing style: Craig's style, but shows many editing tweaks.

The comments beside these varieties are my own and may or may not be found in the article.
Varieties suggested as really good:
Nepal - Craig's tomato of choice for 30 or so years.
Druzba - My favorite red rich flavored tomato
Anna Russian - A very good heart shaped wilty leaf tomato
Mayo's Delite - a sweet and rich flavored heart
Wisconsin 55 (upper midwest)
Creole (Louisiana)
Cuostralee (this one does well in most areas, but is especially good in the Southeast)
Brandywine Sudduth - This would be one of the best flavored but most finicky tomatoes around.
Tiffen Mennonite - A very good pink
Snag's Pride - Another pink
Cherokee Purple - most popular of the purple/brown varieties, outstanding flavor
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Green
Paul Robeson - excellent flavor, very disease susceptible, does very well on the west coast, iffy on the east coast.
Amazon Chocolate
Maiden's Gold - Good flavored yellow tomato
Kellogg's Breakfast - My favorite orange tomato
Aunt Gertie's Gold - Can be outstanding in a good year
Hugh's - pale yellow with very good flavor
Green Giant - Couldn't agree more on this one, excellent flavor
Aun't Ruby's German Green - Light, sweet, zingy flavor, I have to beat my son off of the plants to get any ripe seed.
White Queen - Meh flavor IMO, but with Sutton's Best, are the best whites.
Ananas Noire - multicolor with some zing.
Tiger Tom - striped with flavor
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye - purple with greenish yellow stripes

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I also received a complimentary copy as well, and I'm sure that the others quoted in the article also did.

Yes, the Anna Russian was not Anna Russian, that's for sure, and I was going to contact Craig last night and congratulate him, I think the magazine came last Friday or Saturday, on the article, and also share with him a few things I didn't agree with.

But I'll do that privately.

THe fact is that I finished packing up the seeds for the folks who do my seed production for me, as well as ones to Craig for my plants here at home, got the padded mailers all set, came back in here to answer some e-mails, and no go.

Blank screen, nada, this happened once before and I got all upset, was so last night, but remembered it corrected itself eventaully,

Now don't laugh too much, but I had a dream and saw in my dream a page on my Monitor, had to make a trip to the bathroom, sat down and turned it on again, and up it came, as though it had timed out, this new dealie where if you don't use it for about 4 1/2 hours you're out and I know that b'c when I just turend it on the page came up that said locked out, and I know what do when that happens. Must be some problem with that timing out software.

Why am I writing all of this? I don't know, but I have so much computer work to do and I feel horrible when I can't get on and answer e-mails or do anything else.

Craig, I'll get back to you on the article, which for the most part was very well written, and I'd like to know where some of those pictures came from, especially Anna Russian which is a variety you introduced.

Carolyn
Old March 26, 2013   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Got my copy as well. The mail came late yesterday due to the ongoing snow storm that just won't go away. It's still snowing right now. I'll read the article this afternoon and get back here.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #4
neil
Tomatovillian™

Got my copy as well.I called Craig and he hasn't seen it yet!

Neil
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I finally got my magazine....and though I've not read the article yet in full (Sue did and enjoyed it), I do know there are some errors that happened between my submission and their final editing - Darrel told me about a picture error (Anna Russian - I had no say in which pictures were used). It was a learning experience for me about what one writes and what ends up getting published....but was an enjoyable experience - it was great having chats with all of the "subjects" - and I look forward to doing others in the future (and finishing my book!)