Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 12, 2009   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default I see, I saw------------

Worth did a great post on how to get the best finish on wood.

Here is another thing to consider:

General tungsten carbide saw blades are inexpensive, and they are great. They cut nice and they last very long. However, they don't give you the best cut, even the so-called finishing blades with 100 teeth for a 10" blade.

There are blades which will give you incredible cuts. They have micro-polished teeth on all three sides. They are highly balanced and heat-treated, and they are not cheap. I am not going to recommend a brand. Go ask you local cabinetmaker for a recommendation.

Once you spent the money for one of these blades, don't use it for general cutting; use it only for final cuts. Keep it sharp forever. You will love the mirror finish it gives you without sanding. No splintering at all.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2009   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Great advice here as this will eliminate a lot of the "work" in woodcraft of any kind at any level. And that "work" is the finishing"

I'll add this. One of the most important things in making high quality precision cuts is to slow down and don't get in a hurry. The best cuts are made are made with blades that have a high number of teeth per inch. That means they take out a very small amount of the material on each pass of the cutting teeth.

Have you ever noticed that a hacksaw will cut wood and leave almost no splintering, even with soft pine? More teeth, smaller teeth, finer cut.

The real advantage to tungsten is that tungsten cutting teeth are made of a harder metal and hold their sharpness longer.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote