Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 19, 2015   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default When to replenish seed stock

Well I just planted my first tray of seeds. (yay!)

As I was doing so, I noticed that a lot of my seed varieties are from 2011. Plus, not all of the vendors note the year that the seeds were harvested, so they could be even older than 2011.

While I understand ancient seeds can at times be germinated - I am wondering - at what age would I expect germination to start decreasing (on average) and I should consider getting fresh seed?
Old March 19, 2015   #2
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Well I just planted my first tray of seeds. (yay!)

As I was doing so, I noticed that a lot of my seed varieties are from 2011. Plus, not all of the vendors note the year that the seeds were harvested, so they could be even older than 2011.

While I understand ancient seeds can at times be germinated - I am wondering - at what age would I expect germination to start decreasing (on average) and I should consider getting fresh seed?
After 3 years of age you will see a decrease in germination rate, controlled for quality storage practices, of which, if the latter was lacking, it would be sooner.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I have had no problems so far with seed purchased in 2010 and 2011. But I wonder...
Old March 19, 2015   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I don't do anything fancy for storage - either in plastic bags, or envelopes from the vendor, in pages in a binder. Just stored in my house, nowhere special.
Old March 19, 2015   #5
snugglekitten
BANNED

Hi,

Moisture is the enemy.

It sounds like you are doing good with the airtight plastic bags, imo.

But if wiser, more experienced people want to share (most people here are in that category) I will stand corrected.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I think I got lucky perhaps
Old March 19, 2015   #7
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Here is a thread that has some interesting data.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17420

I treat that seeds that are less than 5 years old about the same as brand new seeds. Seeds 5 to 10 years old, I would sow twice as many as I would for newer seeds. Beyond 10 years, it is not outrageous to get some germination, but results are not reliable.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #8
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato seed longevity

I have found that seeds I have fermented and saved generally germinate better than seeds purchased or traded. I'm not quite sure why this is but it may have to do with temperatures during transport or pressures applied to seeds by postal services or whatever.
My own seeds germinate well at ten years in most cases but I've had seeds from Carolyn older than that that have germinated quite well considering their age.
I expect every seed I plant to grow and am seldom disappointed. I planted one seed of Alicante in 2013 from my saved seed from 1996 and it germinated and grew to a fine plant as good as fresh seeds. They were a gift from a relative in England in 1995, now passed on and I wanted to keep them going.
Neil G. (Canada)
retiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #9
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I sometimes have maybe 1 out of 4 of a variety that doesn't germinate, but most do very well. I have had a lot of trouble with seeds from one vendor, so I just avoid them if possible. But, my stock is getting older, so I was just wondering.
Old March 19, 2015   #10
LDiane

I now make sure I have saved seeds of any favourite vegetable, as I have found that seed companies don't always keep offering them.
Old March 20, 2015   #11
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

I recently planted some seeds from 2011 and got 100% germination.
I think a lot has to do with how they have been stored.
Old March 20, 2015   #12
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have found that seeds I have fermented and saved generally germinate better than seeds purchased or traded. I'm not quite sure why this is but it may have to do with temperatures during transport or pressures applied to seeds by postal services or whatever.
I agree with Retiree. And sometimes if seeds have been re-traded and shipped more than once, I suspect effects may cumulate.

I keep my seeds at room temperature, though generally our basement stays cool and does not get much above the mid-70's even in summer. Last year, I had some old seeds from commercial sources that I decided I better re-grow before they expired. The 1884 Heirloom seeds were 10 years old, Orange Strawberry were 9 years old, Jaune Flammee were 7 years old. I oversowed, around 20 seeds each, but only needed a couple of plants. Well, I had amazing germination from those old seeds, up around 80-90 % . I take no credit for any expertise on my part, because quite often I experience what appears to be unexplained randomness in whether a particular variety germinates well or not.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #13
tam91
Tomatovillian™

OK, I guess it isn't time for me to worry too much about seeds from 2010 or 2011 then
Old March 21, 2015   #14
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

from what i have learned here, the heart shaped tomatoes tend to taper off growing after 5 years. on the other extreme, i had saved seeds from my great uncle steve's italian plum tomato germinate and grow at 14 yrs of age. 16 yr old seeds still germinated, but were too weak to grow. normally 5 to 10 yr old seeds will still germinate and grow. just not as many, so plant more than you need.

its a funny thing, every year, i will have a variety that is several years old usually my own saved seed that will germinate better than a new purchased one.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2015   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Stored cool, dry and dark, I have never had trouble with tomato seeds five years old or under. My personal goal is to refresh my seed stash by a Growout for fresh seed or aquire fresh seed of varieties every five years at least.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote