Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 23, 2007   #1
Woodyend
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Cowhorn pepper seeds.

Hi all, my 80 year old father-in-law asked me to see if I could find him this variety of pepper. I've looked on Google but could not find a site that sells them. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 23, 2007   #2
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Default Cowhorn pepper.

I don't know if you are looking for hot or sweet variety but here's a place that sells both. http://www.reimerseeds.com/Search.aspx?Keyword=cowhorn
Old May 23, 2007   #3
Woodyend
Tomatovillian™

First thanks for the info.

Darn looks like they are an on-line company only. I hesitate to give my credit card number to small based companies on-line with no way to contact them via phone.

From site.
I would like to place an order with you, but do not want to use my credit card on the internet. Can I call in the credit card information?
No. We only accept orders placed through our secure website using a valid credit card. If you prefer to place an order, but do not want to include the credit card information, select the Fax Order option during checkout. After you complete the order, print a copy of the order and Fax it along with the credit card information. There is a $2.50 processing fee on Fax orders, which is added to your order.
Old May 23, 2007   #4
geol
Tomatovillian™

Woodyend, Our local Lowe’s garden center has a nice selection of pepper plants this year, including Cowhorn. I didn’t look indoors to see what seeds they might have left, but did buy a Cowhorn and a couple other plants ($1.99/each), and will try to save seed.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007   #5
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

I bought several Cowhorn pepper plants last month. I'll join geol in saving some seed. You might check local garden centers and box stores--the peppers were from Bonnie plants, which supplies most of the vegetable transplants for TX stores.

Jason
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #6
Woodyend
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the offers. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Lowes. Do you think that Cowhorn peppers have other names it goes by?
Old May 24, 2007   #7
bcday
Tomatovillian™

The Lowe's here has Cowhorn peppers too.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007   #8
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Cowhorn looks to be an Anaheim/New Mexico type of pepper. There are many varieties out there--some milder, some spicier. NuMex Joe E Parker would be my favorite. My best crop, however, was from a few plants I found at a nursery simply labled "New Mexico Pepper".
Old May 24, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have never actually heard of a pepper called Cowhorn, but there are sweet frying peppers called Corno di Toro, literally, Horn of the Bull. These ripen to both red and yellow. Is Cowhorn a sweet frying type? Sorry if I sound silly. Just trying to determine what you're looking for.
Old May 24, 2007   #10
geol
Tomatovillian™

I thought I saw something that said it was hot and matured to red, but I'm not seeing it on the tag. I looked at my receipt, I paid $1.98,
Old May 24, 2007   #11
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Maybe this is where you saw the description that said Cowhorn was hot and matured to red:

http://www.bonnieplants.com/Default.aspx?tabid=178

The plants at Lowe's come from Bonnie Plants.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007   #12
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Uh-oh, looks like I may have hotter peppers than I had planned. There are many descriptions of Cowhorn out there, some refer to it as sweet??? The Bonnie description is probably valid for their variety, although "hot" is a vague term when it comes to peppers. Hot could mean "spicy", or it could mean "blinding screaming please put me out of my misery torture". Guess I'll find out when they produce.

Jason
Old May 25, 2007   #13
geol
Tomatovillian™

No, It would have had to have been from the sign at Lowe's the other day, knew nothing else about them, but looking forward to them now.
Old May 25, 2007   #14
Woodyend
Tomatovillian™

You have no idea how much I appreciate all the trouble you all have gone through to help me find this pepper for my F-I-L.
Thank You!!!
Old May 25, 2007   #15
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

If you do ever consider Reimer's I would suggest you might look at Dave's Watchdog and also do a search here then make your mind up. Just want everyone to be more informed than I was when I ordered. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote