Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 17, 2012   #1
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Lottie's Original Barbados Red Hot Sauce

My wife and I are hot pepper sauce fanatics. I have tryed many commercial sauces over the years and just recently discovered Lottie's Original Barbados Red Hot Sauce when I was working in Carolina. Ordered and used a case of it.

Great flavor. the best. I need to tame it down a little for our tastes and do so when we go to the pub for wings, We like hot, not mouth burning. I sneak in my own so I don't have to endure the bland salty taste of Franks Red hot

I like to cook and make my own sauces.

I see there is a Tobago's sweet Scotch Bonnet pepper that is not too hot at Marianna's online. I couldn't make their order system work, so am still looking.

Anyone have ideas for a a source for this seed? Or similar?

I may have to grow Traditional Jamaican Scotch Bonnet and blend it with other sweet peppers to get the sauce I want. Habanero do not have the taste I am looking for. When I look at the cultivators on the seed company's websites, many are offering something other than the true Red Scotch Bonnet.

Last edited by willyb; March 17, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Formating
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

If blending to make a sauce, using a blend of yellow, orange and red (various stages of ripe scotch bonnets) and other peppers helps give a bit of a fruitier flavour with not just heat. Plus I like to add mango or carrot (sometimes both), sweet peppers, sometimes pineapple and a bit of tamarind. I've got one sauce mix that I'm still refining, but its getting there. I love hot sauces...but I also want flavour...not just heat for the sake of heat.

Zana

ps...Love Lotie's....some of the best sauces I've had are from Barbados, Jamaica and Trinidad.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2012   #3
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Zana,

If blending to make a sauce, using a blend of yellow, orange and red (various stages of ripe scotch bonnets) and other peppers helps give a bit of a fruitier flavour with not just heat. Plus I like to add mango or carrot (sometimes both), sweet peppers, sometimes pineapple and a bit of tamarind. I've got one sauce mix that I'm still refining, but its getting there. I love hot sauces...but I also want flavour...not just heat for the sake of heat.

Zana

Like your suggestions about the various stages of ripe scotch bonnets, and the fruit, haven't tryed tamarind, but will. I use raw peppers, cook other fillers and add lime, salt and vinegar for preservative,
Old March 17, 2012   #4
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb View Post
My wife and I are hot pepper sauce fanatics. I have tryed many commercial sauces over the years and just recently discovered Lottie's Original Barbados Red Hot Sauce when I was working in Carolina. Ordered and used a case of it.

Great flavor. the best. I need to tame it down a little for our tastes and do so when we go to the pub for wings, We like hot, not mouth burning. I sneak in my own so I don't have to endure the bland salty taste of Franks Red hot

I like to cook and make my own sauces.

I see there is a Tobago's sweet Scotch Bonnet pepper that is not too hot at Marianna's online. I couldn't make their order system work, so am still looking.

Anyone have ideas for a a source for this seed? Or similar?

I may have to grow Traditional Jamaican Scotch Bonnet and blend it with other sweet peppers to get the sauce I want. Habanero do not have the taste I am looking for. When I look at the cultivators on the seed company's websites, many are offering something other than the true Red Scotch Bonnet.
I've got the Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet from last year's grow, if you'd like to try it just send me a PM with your address.

Note that it has almost no heat at all and you can see it doesn't really have the Scotch Bonnet shape; but it does have a very nice flavor profile and it's a bit different in form than the Tobago Seasoning pepper, it's a little larger and has slightly thicker flesh for starters. There are several others that are of the same general type and heat profile.

You could grow that and Jamaican Hot Red and use the Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet to blend down to a heat profile you're looking for. If this

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/JAMAICA...ductinfo/9557/

is the pepper you're referring to as the Jamaican Scotch Bonnet I have seeds for that one as well.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; March 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Clarification and punctuation.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2012   #5
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much, those 2 are exactly what I am looking for and I agree I could get the right taste and heat with the combination. Will PM

Brad