Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 30, 2009   #1
Wind Dancer
Tomatovillian™

Default Pinching Pepper Buds

Hi Pepper Lovers

This may have been answered somewhere in the threads, but I am feeling a bit impatient and in need of enlightenment. I promise not to make a habit of giving up so quickly on a search for info.

There are several pepper plants, heirloom paprika varieties in this case, that are setting buds. Yep, started them waaay to early...and in trying to pinch the buds off while still quite small, I pinched the growing tip of a plant.

Question #1 What effect will this have on the developing plant's growth?

Question #2 How large can buds be allowed to grow before
they are removed?

Question #3 Many plants actually enjoy having tips pinched, becoming sturdier and having better branching.
Are peppers among this company?

Thanks for any info

Wind Dancer
Wind Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I absolutely believe in pinching off the first fruit and/or flowers that set on peppers. ESPECIALLY that first pepper that tries to set in the "crotch" of the first fork. These early fruit just seem to stunt the plant and it never goes back into the vegetative growth state. I pick off the entire first set of flowers and then the first set of fruit. Then I let it run wild.

Keep in mind this may be foolhardy in cool climates but in Houston, pepper season is June through November.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Feldon...You have way too long of a growing season...If we don't keep the first fruit set, we may not get any ripe peppers...Plus, the peppers that set indoors are safe to keep seed from (unless you leasve the door open much)...I believe you can make the plant bushier by pinching back, but I never remove pepper blossoms and I never have runty plants once they hit real dirt...I like to set as much fruit as possible before the searing heat hits...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Last year I pinched off the the flowers and buds for the first time when they were young and I had real good sturdy plants and plenty of peppers.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #5
Wind Dancer
Tomatovillian™

Ok, looks like a compromise is in order. The growing season
for peppers comes to an abrupt end here about Mid October most years. So, pinch the first buds, but not the first fruit

Thanks Feldon, montanamato, and robin. Much appreciated.

Wind Dancer
Wind Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009   #6
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

good question and followup posts. answered the question that I just posed on "growing from seed". Of course I found this thread after posting there...shoulda searched longer. thanks again. Jim
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

One thing to remember, most peppers drop the blossoms on those first buds unless your indoor growing conditions are most excellent. Pinching them doesn't hurt, but often it's not necessary. You can also pot up if you have space, root bound peppers will try and throw up a pod or two.

That being said, some early fruiting varieties seem determined to produce, and pop out new buds as fast as you can pick them off. If the seedling is a nice sturdy one, I generally leave it alone and let nature take its course. If it's especially small or not as hardy, I pinch the flower buds.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2009   #8
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, everyone! I guess that I will leave them alone to do what they do.
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote