Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2009   #1
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Default BER early or late?

The thread on BER and dark tomatoes reminded me of an exhange Carolyn and I had a few years ago. I'm not sure whether it was on GW, or TV. If I recall correctly, she stated that BER usually occurs early in the season, there. In my location, it is almost always a late season problem. I don't usually see BER at least until late July. Many years, I don't see it at all but when the rainfall is sporadic and plentiful when it does arrive, that seems to trigger it. I guess it makes a difference, too, that our summers usually feature many days of 90+ temps and some years, like '07, we can have over 100 for highs for an entire month.

So, what I am driving at is this. I would like to know whether there is a particular time when you are likely to see BER in your location. Perhaps we can see from the posters' locations if the difference is related to climate.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #2
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

I see BER pretty much every year (sadly). In central KY tomatoes start producing early-mid June for early varieties and July - October for most. So, with that said, I would say I see it later in that four-five month growing season (normally September I'd say). In July and early August my tomatoes normally look like county fair prize winners, and then start cracking/BER/etc later. It may be that I neglect them a bit more later though. It normally happens when they get over-watered through several days of hard rain.
Old May 6, 2009   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

I usually see it early, but it can suddenly show up after a week
of cool, rainy weather in August, too.
Old May 7, 2009   #4
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

If we have frog drowner thunderstorms several days in a row I expect a few tomatoes and even the odd sweet pepper to turn up with BER.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote