Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2009   #1
no charge
Tomatovillian™

Default GULP Think I'm in trouble

Yesterday AM I put these plants out to catch some sun (we've had rain and cool temps for the past week). The plant had been in indirect sun for 2-3 weeks previously so thought they would be OK in direct sun for the day. I left for several hours and upon returning found this:

Suspect it to be Sun scald or Wind Damage but, at this point am not sure.

Any guidance would be most appreciated, as I'm really freaking out at this point.

Thanks in advance!

no charge
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #2
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Dont worry it is cold-damp damage. They will grow out of it. I had the same problem with my in ground (planted early) mater plants this year, and they all are healthy, and loaded w/ maters. In fact after that cold damp weekend about 6 weeks ago all of the nursury's plants looked the same...They sold them anyway
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

wind sun damage will outgrow itself - next time: harden off longer !
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

no charge, I saw this same thread posted by you elsewhere this AM, with several repsonses and while you've now taken out the possibility of a virus being the cause, which is correct b'c it isn't viral, I think it was bcday whose post I agreed with and that was that it's sunscald and that when plants are first put out to harden off they should not be left in the sun all day.

Rather, initially in dappled shade for a few days and then gradually into full sun.

And she also shared with you that they will recover, so not to worry, or words to that effect, and I agree.
Old May 6, 2009   #5
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Definitely sun scald. I would recommend hardening your plants off when they're much smaller than those appear to be.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #6
no charge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks soo much for the sage advice. I had posted this at another place also, and as Ms. Carolyn said, everyone has agreed that it was a dumb mistake on my part. I'm just happy I didn't kill the plants.

no charge
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I hate to be the terminology police, but we're all over the place here...

That is hardening off failure, due to a rapid introduction of the plants to bright sun after having only ever experienced shade/part sun. It happens to the best of us.

I would give your plants some rest back in the shade and then in a couple of days start introducing them to direct sun in 15 minute increments, avoiding the hottest noon-2pm until the last.

I believe Sunscald happens to unripe fruit which is exposed to too much sun.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #8
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Sun burn and/or wind burn. They'll grow out of it.

Agree with Feldon sunscald affects fruit (discoloration and hard).

Those are the terms we use around here.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #9
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

No Charge......I am not going to dispute the experts, but if those plants were out in the cold, and rain that is what possibly damaged your leaves....The pictures of your plant leaves look mine did..........I was out of town at a wedding when that cold/wet cold front blew in........It rained all weekend (about 38 deg. To 42 deg’s), and when I got home, and the sun came out the next day........ that is when I noticed the damage.......Like I said earlier that next weekend I went to two nurseries, and in both places their tomato plants had the same damage.....every tomato plant!!...........The damage looked just like yours, and mine..........now if your plants were not out in the cold, and rain I’m sure the experts are correct.......As far as my plants are concerned they were in the ground for almost three weeks before the cold front blew in..........in the sunshine........ and the damage did not occur until after the cold rainy weekend...I have a link to my damaged plants......the 2nd , and 4th picture are pics of the damaged leaves, and the 3rd picture is the same plant about a week ago.........All of my plants grew out of the leaf damage, and are doing great!!......All I am saying I had the exact same damage to my leaves that your pictures show,and my feeling is that the extended cold rainy weather was the cause of my problem........I suppose it might have been the sunshine after the cold rainy weekend weather....but I don’t think so................I posted the same question, but the mods moved it to the disease forum.....

hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

sunscald

My error and thanks for calling it to my attention. I'm sure bcday also said sunburn but I jsut didn't go back to double check/

Sunscald is indeed a problem with the fruits, not the foliage, and sunburn, possibly coupled with windburn is what the foliage is suffering from.

Just a note to say that when my plants are outside hardening off and it's been on the cool side and rainy what I see is wilting of the plants, probably cold plus waterlogged artificial mix, but they always come around and I never lost one plant and never had any specific leaf lesions show up, just the profound wilting.
Old May 6, 2009   #11
zinnia11
Tomatovillian™

I have a tomato plant with leaves that look a lot like this. But I live in sunny and fairly warm Florida so I dont think it is a cold temperature issue. The plant looks healthy in all other respects, though. It has lots of little maters growing on it.
zinnia11 is offline   Reply With Quote