Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 8, 2013   #16
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

That tomato looks like it'd make BLT's for four people. Gorgeous !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #17
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Just placed my order with Lazy Ox Farms for those "Joe's Pink Oxheart" tomato seeds (along with some other interesting seeds I haven't seen anywhere else).

Didn't want to risk waiting only to find out they're sold out. That's happened to me before and I learned my lesson.

Thanks again for the recommendation Fred.

~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #18
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
J
Didn't want to risk waiting only to find out they're sold out. That's happened to me before and I learned my lesson.

Thanks again for the recommendation Fred.

~Alfredo
I received my order in a few days with a nice personalized invoice. Margie has mentioned that Joe's Pink Oxheart has very few seeds, so your plan to order early is probably wise!

I'm really looking forward to growing this one.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2013   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad that some of you are ordering directly from Margie.

Yes, I still have lots of seeds for it for my next seed offer, but I much prefer that you support Margie and what she has at her website.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old August 17, 2013   #20
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some seeds yesterday, didn't want to wait until it was too late. There were some interesting varieties at the website, had to try a new one: Eva Purple Ball x Big Beef.
Already planning my garden for next summer, hope it goes better than this year!
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #21
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

I ordered, too...

LazyOxFarm Items
1 Tomato Seed, Paul Robeson Heirloom
1 Tomato Seed, Joe's Pink Oxheart
Old August 23, 2013   #22
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

Received my order today, very prompt service/shipping. Nice size packages with good number seeds. Very excited for next year!
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2013   #23
JoParrott

I guess Lazy Ox Farms is getting a lot of orders in the off season! I have mine already- they ship seeds FREE with no minumim order.
Old August 23, 2013   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I must remember to e-mail Margie and give her the Google search where this thread is listed since she's not a member here so I can't send her the thread directly, although I think I'll throw it in anyway.

I've GOT to start making to do lists and I just discovered 5 e-mails that I never responded to and that bothers me a lot. And there's that thread I was going to put up about language translations and I haven't done that either.

However, when I'm perfect in all ways I'll start a thread here saying that.

Finally, I'm not going to put up that performance thread for the varieties that many of you got from my seed offer until maybe mid-Sept.

Many of you already know what you have but many in the semi-tundra areas do not.

Carolyn
Old August 31, 2013   #25
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Joe's Pink Heart and I am impressed. Right now I have huge ripe tomatoes on the vine and several green. I haven't picked them yet because I am not positive if they are ripe. They are dusty pink color with green shoulders. The few photos I found online of Joe's Pink Heart haven't been the top of the tomato. I live in Northern Minnesota so my tomatoes don't ripen to as deep of color as they do further south. My Black Krim"s are perfect when they are a dusty mauve color with green shoulders so I don't expect Joe's Pink Heart to get any darker. I am mainly curious about the green shoulders. I am really looking forward to tasting this tomato so I want to harvest it at the peak of ripeness. Thank you.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Mine had green shoulders and were light pink when peak flavor!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #27
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2013   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just noting that I did e-mail Margie and sent her the link to this thread.She replied ASAP and said yes she had been receivomg a lot of orders for it and said:

"That's very nice. Thank you! I have had lots of orders containing Joe's Pink recently. Thank you for promoting it."

And then of course we talked tomato varieties as alway seems to happen when I correspond with someone .Margie is a first class person in IMO.

I also pointed out to her that thread was started by Fred and without that the variety would not have recieved the attention that it did

Carolyn,who is eager to hear the feedback when she puts up the perfomance thread for this one and all the others she distributed seeds for in her Jan seed offer here a tville.
Old September 1, 2013   #29
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

From the source of seeds sent to Carolyn some were kept back and grown out this year. So far this crazy summer 10 Joe's have been picked with an average weight of around 24 ounces. There are another 6-8 unripe ones still on the vine. Below is a photo just taken with the latest three. From left the weight is 18 oz., 14 oz. and 30 ounces. Flavor is 8.5 of 10 with me and my wife as judges. Very meaty, a little juicy and great on a BLT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4363.JPG (454.8 KB, 234 views)
Old September 2, 2013   #30
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't have called that an ox heart looking at the shape but it is a pretty tomato. I have ordered from Lazy Ox because of this thread.

I just found the pictures from the Idig thread and I see it does look like a heart. Tania needs some pictures and more information on her site.

Last edited by matilda'skid; September 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: found more pictures on Carolyn's link
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote