Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2012   #1
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Default Termites in my mulch...

I am fairly certain these bugs I see in my mulch are termites. I don't see any on my plants but they are all in my mulch in several of my containers. Should I be concerned , or are they harmless to my plants?
TigersAU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #2
John3
Tomatovillian™

If you think they are termites try spraying the mulch with White 5% distilled vinegar. Be sure not to spray the plants, flowers or vegetables that you want as the vinegar will kill them. You can also sprinkle some bacon soda in the area then spray the vinegar - it will foam so be careful so as not to kill any plants you want to keep.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #3
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
If you think they are termites try spraying the mulch with White 5% distilled vinegar. Be sure not to spray the plants, flowers or vegetables that you want as the vinegar will kill them. You can also sprinkle some bacon soda in the area then spray the vinegar - it will foam so be careful so as not to kill any plants you want to keep.
is there anything else I can do? this sounds a little risky to me. Will sevin spray or liquid dishwashing soap work on them?
Old April 18, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

A pot of hot boiling water poured over them.

Yellow corn Meal.

Don't know about sevin.
Old April 18, 2012   #5
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
A pot of hot boiling water poured over them.

Yellow corn Meal.

Don't know about sevin.
I like the corn meal best out of these ideas...If I do the boiling water I would think it may scorch the roots. Maybe i could water the plants first so its not so hot? I love the ideas sir, thank you much. I'm just very cautious about anything remotely risky as I am reading that they are not a danger to the plants. I also have several small tomatoes on them already and I feel too invested at this point to try something that i'm not 100% sure about. Thank you again so much! Have you ever tried the boiling water thing? If so, were your plants affected?
Old April 18, 2012   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

Yes it killed the ants but they where not in the garden. If you use the boiling water I think if it's to close to the plants it will kill them (the plants).

The Yellow Corn Meal has worked for me they eat it and over stuffs them selves (simple answer to that)
The Yellow Corn Meal might be what you want (not the white) and do not wet/water the Yellow Corn Meal after you put it down.
Old April 18, 2012   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What color are they.
Do they look like this.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #8
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What color are they.
Do they look like this.
they are a clearish white...i tried to post pictures that i took (blurry ones) and just now figured it out. Here they are.

The second one you can barely see them. Sorry for the eye strain lol.
Old April 18, 2012   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Go to advance like your going to post then move down the page until you see manage attachments. You should get a window open up click one of the Browse buttons find the image and then click upload. Hope that helps.
Old April 18, 2012   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you have windows picture manager or Paint? You may need to re-size them to get them to load here.
I have used photo shop but this other stuff is easier.
usually about 50% reduced size works for me.

Worth
Old April 18, 2012   #11
John3
Tomatovillian™

Well I can't see them - I might need an electron microscope to find them
Can you draw a circle around where they are at?

QOUTE:
BODY
Termite: A termite has two distinct body segments with a waistline closer to the head than the tail.
Ant: An ant has three distinct body segments with two waistlines nearly equidistant from each other, like a snow man.
WINGS
Termite: Termite swarmer wings are almost cartoonishly long and narrow, extending a body length or more beyond the rear end or abdomen. The wings of termites also tend to lay back very straight, parallel with the body.
Ants: Ant wings extend just slightly past the end of the body. Their wings also tend to lie at a slight angle to the body, pointing away from the body at the bottom.
Old April 18, 2012   #12
TigersAU777
Tomatovillian™

Sorry that the pics are not very good, I just now tried to take more, but it is dark and very hard to get them to come out, much less get a good picture. I am almost certain they are termites though, they look exactly like those in the picture, but I don't see any wings. They look like the white bugs that someone posted above to a T.

Also in both pictures they are in the bottom half of the picture near the middle. There are 2 of them that you can see.
Old April 18, 2012   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If they are termites I would be really worried about them getting to your house.Those wings are not for show they are for flying (in the represenative photo).I would call a pest control company and survey your property.Until you do If you have any wood piles or any kind of untreated wood around the house check for the critters soon.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #14
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

From the mulch, they will not fly into the house, but tunnel in. Keep a good eye for mud tunnels, and as above, get in an exterminator to nip this in the bud.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
From the mulch, they will not fly into the house, but tunnel in. Keep a good eye for mud tunnels, and as above, get in an exterminator to nip this in the bud.
I agree and look for the tunnels around your foundation too.

No amount of mulch is worth a termite call pest control.

Here are NASA enhanced photos for all that cant see.
Attachment 23270 Attachment 23271

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM.