Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2012   #31
Pigzzilla
Tomatovillian™

Default Speaking of ticks.................

When my son was 7 or 8, he got up on Saturday morning and headed to the bathroom. A moment later he let out this horrible scream and came running to the kitchen. He had a rather large tick attached where no male would ever want one.
I took him to town to the Dr. as he was very swollen and didn't want Mom to 'touch it'. The Dr removed the tick and gave him some cream to put on the bite several times a day. She told him to wrap Saran Wrap around the affected body part to keep the cream from comming off on his underwear. He was very embarrassed.
Sometimes his older brother would call him a 'tick-*ick' when teasing him. Boys sure can be weird...................pigz
Pigzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #32
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by noinwi View Post
I'm not affiliated with the company, I just use the product and it works for me. When you twist gently, the tick releases its hold. You're not breaking its mouthparts off. It's easier than using tweezers when you're trying to hold a cat still. I used it on my leg last year and there wasn't even a red mark left so I doubt anything was left in the skin. Just sayin'...
I'm not necessarily picking one one over the other. Just went and checked what the "experts" had to say.
I hope I don't encounter one ever again. It's been a while and I'm happy. Now of course, I'll find one tonight.
If it works for you and you have had no problems, you have to stick with it. I'd never argue that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigzzilla View Post
When my son was 7 or 8, he got up on Saturday morning and headed to the bathroom. A moment later he let out this horrible scream and came running to the kitchen. He had a rather large tick attached where no male would ever want one.
I took him to town to the Dr. as he was very swollen and didn't want Mom to 'touch it'. The Dr removed the tick and gave him some cream to put on the bite several times a day. She told him to wrap Saran Wrap around the affected body part to keep the cream from comming off on his underwear. He was very embarrassed.
Sometimes his older brother would call him a 'tick-*ick' when teasing him. Boys sure can be weird...................pigz
Ouch! Ahh! Ehh! Oyyy! Yikes!
That's all I got to say about that one!
Old April 19, 2012   #33
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownDogHouse View Post
I was curious and just checked the Center for Disease Control website and they say to remove the tick with a tweezers by pulling steady and straight out, NO twisting. The twisting increases the risk of leaving tick parts in the victim.
omg i can't believe the cdc would say such a stupid thing! NEVER squeeze an attached tick or you will inject it's body contents into your body! there is a very effective tick removal tool someone described in this thread.

this is the device i used for years. very effective. many of these removal tools have a V notch that you slide into the ticks body right behind the head and it pulls them out. NEVER squeeze a tick!

http://www.thedumbdog.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=409
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote