Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2012   #16
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

I prune all the lower leaves off when I first transplant, and after that I just try and prune all suckers once or twice a week. I usually miss a sucker or two and let that develop, so I end up with two to three central stems. I love pruning, because it is fun to spend time with your plants and you can catch diseases early. Of course, last year I only had about fifteen plants, and this year I am doubling that. So... we'll see how much I like pruning this year.

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I tried pruning out suckers last year for the first time, and I will not be repeating that exercise. We get powdery mildew pretty bad in this area and it gradually kills all the foliage. That's what nails veggies here, not frost. By midsummer the most susceptible varieties were toast - they just didn't have the foliage to soldier on. I thought by giving them more air circulation it would be helpful...ooops.
The mild bleach solution that I have mentioned in the past should work to stop the mildew once it gets started if you don't wait too long before using it. It works for me on cucumbers and squash but once foliage gets powdery mildew it is toast whether you treat it or not. I treat it with a full gallon of water to which I add 7 to 8 ounces of regular strength bleach and spray all the surfaces and the mulch or ground under the plant with a very fine mist late in the evening. Any foliage that is badly infected will shortly dry up but the spread of the powdery mildew is usually stopped or slowed dramatically. If it returns I just do it again.

I almost never have powdery mildew on tomatoes but it gets on all my cucurbits and sometimes my onions down here. I used Daconil on them last year and didn't really get it til I was tired of spraying the plants every week and after every rain, so I assume it is a fairly good preventative for powdery mildew. I will certainly be using it again this year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #18
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I didn't prune last year which for me is very unusual and I regretted it prettyy quickly.

The plants outgrew the space I had, the yeild was no better and in some cases less and it was a mess in the greenhouse.

This year I will be back to pruning apart from the Dwarf Project plants.

If you intend to remove suckers, do it when they are very small, they rub off with your thumb when tiny, once an inch long just pinch them off with your thumb and first finger.

They can be grown in much smaller containers when pruned which is ideal for a greenhouse.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #19
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

A stray thought...I wonder if the larger fruit size that is thought to result from pruning could also be achieved by simply pinching off a certain percentage of flower clusters. That way, you have more foliage, which presumably would mean more plant energy, going into fewer fruit.

It would also be easier, possibly, to pinch flower clusters than suckers. Perhaps not.

Last edited by celerystalksmidnite; April 5, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Columbo always had something to add, too.
celerystalksmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I didn't prune last year which for me is very unusual and I regretted it prettyy quickly.

The plants outgrew the space I had, the yield was no better and in some cases less and it was a mess in the greenhouse.

This year I will be back to pruning apart from the Dwarf Project plants.
I think we're talking about a special case as far as greenhouse growing and plant spacing.

I don't prune, but I'm also growing in a raised bed garden with no greenhouse, and the plants have 28" spacing.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #21
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

I notice that Johnny's has a video and they recommend pruning to two central stems. You can see it on their website and if I recall correctly, it was the first sucker near the bottom of the plant that they allow to grow. They do this on all their indeterminates.
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #22
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Here are my reasons for pruning. (I prune to 1 main leader and tie to rebar)
1. Keeps fruit up so slugs don't eat them.
2. Saves space.
3. Saves money, if you buy or build cages
4. I like spending the time in garden looking for suckers, and as mentioned before by others, I often catch diseases and pests very early because of this.
5. Looks nice and organized
6. Never have to look for fruit inside of a bush on my knees
7. I tried several different cages, and built several of my own, and every year my tomatoes grew very large and then got knocked over by the first big storm of the season
Old April 16, 2012   #23
dice
Tomatovillian™

Warm climate pruning of fresh market tomatoes in Asia:
http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/TomPrune.pdf

(They want to grow a set number of clusters per plant, with 4 fruit
per cluster, except for cherry tomatoes, where they do not limit the
fruit per cluster. Basically they do this to maximize the number of
fruit that look good on a fruit display at a fresh-market vendor.)
Old April 16, 2012   #24
luke
Tomatovillian™

I'm cleaning out a few of the lower lateral stems on my plants below the flower clusters, but I have a hard time cutting off too many. It just seems that a plant will need some vegetation to be healthy.

I do have multiples of several varieties, so I might get aggressive on a few.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Luke I will soon know how severe pruning affects production and everything else. I have around 60 plants out that I am keeping to only one stem and they should start setting fruit very soon. I also have a couple of beds where the plants are only getting limited pruning for airflow.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #26
snippits
Tomatovillian™

I tried pruning one season on indeterminate tomatoes, and I will never do it again. Production went down. Sure I had more #1 tomatoes with less culling, but a #2 tastes as good as a #1. It's just not as pretty.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #27
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

What seems to be needed is some experimental side-by-side plant comparisons. Any volunteers? I'd be willing to experiment a little next spring. Too late for this year, as most of the plants are big and bushy and full of tomatoes.
Old April 17, 2012   #28
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalksmidnite View Post
What seems to be needed is some experimental side-by-side plant comparisons. Any volunteers? I'd be willing to experiment a little next spring. Too late for this year, as most of the plants are big and bushy and full of tomatoes.
I did it last year but did not weigh the fruit off each plant. I might try it this year. That is as big of a commitment as you are getting from me at this point. I will know more when I plant.
Old April 18, 2012   #29
janezee
Tomatovillian™

dice,
do you prune? How much? I'm planning on doing quite a bit of pruning,
but I'm not a pruner by nature.
OTOH, once I get going, I like to have a basket full to go to the compost pile.

I really have no choice. I just can't fit 70 tomatoes in my garden if I don't.
I had 8 last year.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #30
janezee
Tomatovillian™

pdxwindjammer,
Tamara,
I haven't specifically pruned to see about production or disease prevention. However, I did it to remove leaves going down to
late blight. That's a hopeless job. I'll see if I can farm out a couple
of varieties to my mother or friends to have room in my yard for a side by side test.

What do you think? A cherry, a Jaune Flammé? Oh, I know!
How about the biggie?

Opinions, anyone? What fun!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote