Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2012   #61
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neohippie View Post
I've got the opposite problem. When I give home-canned stuff away to friends and family, I can come by their house months later and see it's still there on the shelf. I think they're afraid I'm going to give them botulism, but are too polite to say anything about it.

I've been eating my own home-canned stuff for years, and haven't gotten botulism yet. Maybe I just have a strong stomach.
That false confidence in big faceless companies is really bizarre. During the tomato scare in Mexico a few years back (which turned out to be a jalapeno scare but not before millions of dollars of perfectly safe -- if tasteless -- tomatoes were discarded), I encountered someone who wouldn't eat a tomato from my garden. They just somehow thought that every tomato on earth had been suddenly infected.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #62
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
That false confidence in big faceless companies is really bizarre. During the tomato scare in Mexico a few years back (which turned out to be a jalapeno scare but not before millions of dollars of perfectly safe -- if tasteless -- tomatoes were discarded), I encountered someone who wouldn't eat a tomato from my garden. They just somehow thought that every tomato on earth had been suddenly infected.
Yes, we managed for thousands of years without the corporate food machine taking care of us, but people would rather trust that corporate logo.

I did much of my early culinary training with a Japanese chef, and one of the things I remember one of the Japanese sous chefs talking about was the a concept that translated as "food with a face", being the best ingredients you could work with were those where you knew the first name of the farmer, fisherman, etc.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #63
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Yes, we managed for thousands of years without the corporate food machine taking care of us, but people would rather trust that corporate logo.

I did much of my early culinary training with a Japanese chef, and one of the things I remember one of the Japanese sous chefs talking about was the a concept that translated as "food with a face", being the best ingredients you could work with were those where you knew the first name of the farmer, fisherman, etc.
I worked as an Italian chef for 7 years putting myself through Vet School. I always went down to the docks and bought shrimp and scallops from the same fisherman every day...his were always bigger, more flavorful and looked better. Now I don't know if he had a "secret fishing hole" or if he worked some magic but his were always better than any others I ever bought from other fishermen...Maybe he handled them better or packed them in more ice who knows...they were just better.

I had a sun-dried tomato business in Wyoming for about 12 years selling to chefs only. They all said that mine tasted better than any others they had ever tasted ("secret" formula, voodoo, rare ingredients from around the world...) So I completely agree with what the Japanese Sous Chef had to say...
Better the gardener you know!
Old April 3, 2012   #64
Tania
Tomatovillian™

This was my personal misconception about tomato growing:

'One person can grow all the known tomato varieties over the lifetime.'

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #65
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
Old April 3, 2012   #66
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania
But we can keep trying!
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #67
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
But we can keep trying!
Yeah... I am in denial too.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #68
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

It is hard to make much headway when as many new varieties are introduced each year as I have growing in my garden. Probably more new varieties, so I guess I may actually be getting further away from the goal.
Old April 3, 2012   #69
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
It is hard to make much headway when as many new varieties are introduced each year as I have growing in my garden. Probably more new varieties, so I guess I may actually be getting further away from the goal.
Just wait until the Dwarf Project releases get up to speed.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #70
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm a doctor and I found out one of my step-kids wasn't eating the canned foods I'd given her. Of course, she takes her family out for fast foods three meals a day. She weighs 270 at 5' 2" and her husband is over 300 pounds but she's afraid to feed her family my organically grown, canned by the book produce.
My husband actually got after her for it. She really doesn't make a lot of sense.
My side of the family begs me for my canned goods every time they know we're coming!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #71
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
Just wait until the Dwarf Project releases get up to speed.
I can hardly wait for the Dwarfs! I've already made my fall garden plans around them!
Old April 3, 2012   #72
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Regarding canning, I gave up giving anyone anything. For years when I was a young mom, I went out of my way to come up with all sorts of fancy gourmet jams and preserves. I even hand picked violets to make violet jelly (it's awesome if you ever get some!)...do you have any idea how many hours go into picking enough violets for a couple of jars of jelly??? Only to find out your friends are giving it to their kids on the PB&J sandwiches. OMG. Totally ruin the taste why don't you. Not that I don't love PB&J, but special treats should be eaten separately to enjoy all of the flavors imo. Brokenbar, I can really imagine how you felt when that friend thought you'd just "whip up" all those jars of sauce. These days many folks don't realize the hard work and value of a home made anything. It's pretty sad actually. Ragu? ugh...tastes like tomato paste with sugar. bleche!

I'd say one of my favorite "myths" is that tomatoes need TONS of water. Sure they do, if you want them drowned out and watered down

I also continually hear that heirlooms are too hard to grow. I've grown both heirlooms (very limited to the usual old stand bys until this year) along with hybrids, and honestly, I've never seen a difference in productivity or care at all.
Old April 4, 2012   #73
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oooh violet jelly sounds amazing. I have an acre full of the things - I could go picking before I have to mow. Could you share the recipe?

(I promise, no peanut butter)
Old April 4, 2012   #74
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Regarding canning, I gave up giving anyone anything. For years when I was a young mom, I went out of my way to come up with all sorts of fancy gourmet jams and preserves. I even hand picked violets to make violet jelly (it's awesome if you ever get some!)...do you have any idea how many hours go into picking enough violets for a couple of jars of jelly??? Only to find out your friends are giving it to their kids on the PB&J sandwiches. OMG. Totally ruin the taste why don't you. Not that I don't love PB&J, but special treats should be eaten separately to enjoy all of the flavors imo. Brokenbar, I can really imagine how you felt when that friend thought you'd just "whip up" all those jars of sauce. These days many folks don't realize the hard work and value of a home made anything. It's pretty sad actually. Ragu? ugh...tastes like tomato paste with sugar. bleche!

I'd say one of my favorite "myths" is that tomatoes need TONS of water. Sure they do, if you want them drowned out and watered down

I also continually hear that heirlooms are too hard to grow. I've grown both heirlooms (very limited to the usual old stand bys until this year) along with hybrids, and honestly, I've never seen a difference in productivity or care at all.
This is so funny!
Luckily, my side of the family appreciates the worth of a small sized jar of pickled beans, habanero jam or incredibly good tomato paste. They know exactly what those things would cost at the gourmet store or Farmer's Market, where my brother will buy them and my parents can't afford to.
I think for their Christmas gifts this year, I'm making pickled beans, tomato paste , habanero jam and I'm going to attempt some fancy homemade pastas, all in a cute basket.
Violet jam sounds wonderful and I love violets. I usually just make strawberry, blackberry, pear and apple jams/jelly, plus pepper jellies.
I agree that heirlooms are no more productive or harder to grow than hybrids. Just depends on the variety. Oh, and this fallacy has been in several newspaper articles, including a huge special in the Wallstreet Journal. How fussy heirlooms are and how the production is lower, but that the taste will make up for the disease ridden, low production issues.
Old April 4, 2012   #75
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ha ha, that's pretty funny! I remember when the E. coli infected spinach thing happened. It was when I was in grad school, and they quit having spinach at the university cafeteria, the grocery stores, etc.

Meanwhile, I happily dined away on spinach from my CSA.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote