Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2011   #1
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default time from flower to fruit

I know that the answer to this question varies, but am curious as to your general experiences.

I don't think I've ever kept track of days from sexually mature flower to mature fruit. Needless to say, this time is shorter for smaller tomatoes, but what are your experiences? ALSO needless to say, I am asking because my first plants are starting to flower.

AGP is in the lead for big tomatoes...very exciting indeed. It is however still shooting blanks

as a side note, the growth habit and sturdiness of my AGPs is quite impressive....I bet a PL dwarf with AGP as a parent would be a sight for sore eyes.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomdaddy View Post
I know that the answer to this question varies, but am curious as to your general experiences.

I don't think I've ever kept track of days from sexually mature flower to mature fruit. Needless to say, this time is shorter for smaller tomatoes, but what are your experiences? ALSO needless to say, I am asking because my first plants are starting to flower.

AGP is in the lead for big tomatoes...very exciting indeed. It is however still shooting blanks

as a side note, the growth habit and sturdiness of my AGPs is quite impressive....I bet a PL dwarf with AGP as a parent would be a sight for sore eyes.
For sure the time from fruit set to mature fruits varies a lot or we wouldn't have early, mid season and late varieties, which is determined by their specific genes, but here's a link I like a lot that was done by Paul, who used to be at GW for many years and it does give the timeline, with pictures, for Big Beef:

http://www.tomatosite.com/index.php?...Truss_Timeline
Old March 22, 2011   #3
cgs
Tomatovillian™

Default shake 'em

You might try shaking the plant or 'tickling' the blossoms. I learned that here and it has really decreased the blossom drop.

I planted out 2/21 and have first fruit today on OSU blue, Sweet Carneros Pink and Grub's Mystery Green. I've been shaking them everyday and we have had some good wind. These are all first blossoms setting. Unusual experience for me - Thank You Tomatoville.
cgs is offline   Reply With Quote