Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2012   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default 29 year old seeds sprouted!

I got a very nice surprise this morning, after only 6 days the magnitlo tente tomato seeds have sprouted! The variety was collected in Trinidad back in 1976, were last regenerated in 1982 and then put in "medium term storage"; some were retrieved for a tomato genetics study done in 1998 but there is no information available about the actual tomato, so what I get is going to be a complete surprise.

Only 2 out of the 22 Caribbean varieties I collected last year that have not germinated yet, and I'm not going to start worrying for at least two more weeks...

Doing Caribbean sauce trials this fall should be a lot of fun...
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Sounds awesome, definitely keep us updated with pictures and descriptions.
Old March 16, 2012   #3
Mandy97
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Hopefully the tomato ends up being a good surprise this summer.
Mandy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #4
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Amazing. What did you do to wake them up?
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #5
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

29 years old...I think we'd all be interested in knowing how they were stored...might come in handy when my pyramid is finished
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #6
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Definately will be sharing observations and pictures, I'm hoping to share info about the varieties with the seed sources.

I believe medium term storage is -18C and seeds are stored in hermetically sealed packs after drying to less than 5% moisture.
Old March 17, 2012   #7
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg2001 View Post
Amazing. What did you do to wake them up?
Just opened the foil packet they were in, left them exposed to the air for two days to let them absorb moisture gradually and then planted them normally.

Makes me think a bit more about drying some seeds to very low moisture with dessicant packs in with them and then storing them in a freezer to see how long they might be viable.
Old March 17, 2012   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on getting them to germinate. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats from me as well. My own record is waking up seed of September Dawn that were 22 yo, Frogs Leap woke up some seeds I sent him last year that were from 1993 but the DOCUMENTED record to date is waking up seeds that were 50 yo.

That happened when the Cheyenne, WY station was shut down, it was a precursor to what we know as the current USDA stations, and all materials were sent to Ames, IA to the new USDA station. There they opened the seed envelopes which had been stored just in a file cabinet and were able to wake up quite a few, the oldest being 50 yo.

It does make a huge difference in terms of how seeds are stored and none of us can do what the Fort Collins, CO USDA station does in terms of long term storage at I think minus 80 F, or maybe C, I should have checked.

But then why would I even want to store seeds that long when I'll be 73 in June.

I've saved all seeds that I've saved since about 1990, nothing special, many in vials, some just in envelopes, all at ambient temps,and it really is amazing that some remain viable for so long.

Many years ago Craig LeHoullier ( nctomatoman) and I tried many different ways of waking up old seeds b'c back then the seeds that the USDA was sending out were not good at all. We tried different conentrations of giberellic acid along with adding different conentrations of Saltpetre, Microwave, teas, you name it.

But eventually I settled on the method I posted on the first page of my recent seed offer here b'c it's known that nitrate ion is important in seed germination and it seems that's very true. So if you want what I have done to wake up seeds go look at that method. Also, two other important things. Seeds for heart varieties do not last as long as non-hearts, as many of us have found and when you try a new method it really is important to use CONTROLS as well.
Old March 17, 2012   #10
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! That's awesome
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2012   #11
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I have hooks showing from one of the other Caribbean varieties today, so we're off to a great start. If I was having the same luck with all the varieties I have started I'd be amazed, but there are some slowpokes in there. I'm going to wait a week before posting my results on the varieties I got from your offer Carolyn.

Storage definately makes all the difference in having viable seeds, but the growing conditions play a major part as well. This year I amused myself over the winter by trialing all the different methods I've seen mentioned for germinating superhot pepper seeds. With my own 2011 saved seed from fully mature peppers I can have from 0 to nearly 100% germination depending on conditions and technique.

The #1 biggest contributor to success with the pepper seeds was a heating mat with a thermostat whose sensor was in the top half of a cell in the center of the tray, set to 85F. Germination percentages dropped 5 degrees either way on the temperature, which I found educational.
Old April 21, 2012   #12
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Do keep us posted on progress with this.
Old April 21, 2012   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

This highlights that proper seed storage is critical for long term viability.

I planted some 17 year old watermelon seed this year and have at least 2 viable plants out of 700 seed. I expect a few more to germinate over the next several days. While that may not seem like a good percentage, considering the seed age, I'm happy as can be.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2012   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, if you end up storing your head in cryo-storage, like some of the actors do, you may want some of your seeds stored in -80 degrees. You never know when your head will get woken-up. Who knows, you may wake up in 3012 and have the only viable tomato seeds on the planet,lol!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote