Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2012   #1
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Default What to do for sun scald?

Okay, For the first time in a long time, I messed up and left my plants outside too long too soon. Most seem okay, but there are a few that are clearly scalded, some pretty badly.

I brought them back in and, if their soil looked a little dry, I watered them, hoping to cool them off a bit.

The question I have is, do I keep them in until they completely heal and then start the whole process over again? Or should I continue to put them out but just make sure it's only for a couple of hours a day?

Has anyone lost plants to sun scald?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #2
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I left my peppers out too long last year during hardening off. The leaves got crispy on the edges that were damaged, and some fell off. Some (OCD that I am) I cut off which some say you shouldn't do, but I needed them to look "neater". They sent out new leaves and recovered just fine. I kept putting them outside, weather permitting, and was just more careful about not letting myself get caught away from home for longer than they should be left out.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #3
trout250
Tomatovillian™

this is the problem we have been having also, we took used onion sacks split them and wrapped our tomatoe cages making a sort of sun screen, shade cloth is to expensive for my budget. we are trying this on our replants, we had set out 18 really nice plants and with the 60deg. nights and close to 90 deg days we are having they got couldn't handle the sun
trout250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #4
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I checked on them and most of them seem to be doing okay. I'm only going to put them out for a short while tomorrow.
Old April 15, 2012   #5
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hi!

I take my flats of seedlings outside and place them directly in the sun in the morning when the temp's are in the mid to upper fifties.
I then set my microwave timer for 30 minutes.
When times up I go and place the seedlings on the patio table in full shade that way they still have the benefit of the breeze blowing on them to strengthen their root system.

Every two to three days I increase the time by 5 or 10 minutes of direct sunlight.

Seems to work very well for me.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience if plants are correctly hardened off, and that means week for me, then they seldom get sunburned. Windburn yes, a possibility, but not sunburned in which case I just let the damaged foliage drop off naturally/

When you take seedlings back inside what you're doing just reverses what you put them out there for and that's to toughen up the leaf epidermis and get them used to outdoor conditions.

I think it's best to provide them with shelter, and preferably still outside, perhaps a garage or whatever, if high winds or frost or heavy rain is expected.
Old April 15, 2012   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Thanks guys! I checked on them and most of them seem to be doing okay. I'm only going to put them out for a short while tomorrow.
They should be fine. Just phase them out for early sun or fewer hours.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #8
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

It's really amazing how quickly these pants are healing!

The burned leaves look lighter, whitish green and almost papery, but most of the plants are already putting out new dark green healthy leaves on top. It's almost like the damage has made them go into overdrive.

Is this normal?
Old April 18, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
It's really amazing how quickly these pants are healing!

The burned leaves look lighter, whitish green and almost papery, but most of the plants are already putting out new dark green healthy leaves on top. It's almost like the damage has made them go into overdrive.

Is this normal?
Yes, it's normal after you just let the damaged leaves fall off naturally they will start putting out new leaves. Same with windburned leaves.
Old April 19, 2012   #10
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wondering if I just got lucky last year... Mine are outside in a greenhouse. On anything other than really cold days or storms, I open the windows all day. So they shouldn't really need any further hardening, should they?