Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2012   #31
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I wanted to jump in and offer the idea given to you earlier to use the plastic for roofing is a good idea. My deck is roofed with the tin(called corrugated) and I collect lots of rain water off of it. The channels in the tin really grab the water and direct it down to the gutters. My husband put a separation in the center of the gutter with a bit of a lift to direct the water evenly between sides.

I have two rain barrels on the deck(one on each corner and a rain barrel below each on the ground level, but set on cinder blocks to allow for use of the spigot. I can still use the upper barrels hose if I need to and I can get into the barrel on the deck by unzipping the top.

The barrels on the top of the deck are connected to the barrels below using a piece of hose that screws into the upper rain barrel's overflow and the hose is then connected at the back of the lower rain barrel using a hose clamp. This allows the rain to drain very well into the lower barrel. These barrels can be connected in succession. My lower barrels are also planters on the top so they look nice and you can't really tell they are a rain barrel. I used one of them to start seeds in and it worked very well. Here is a pic showing my setup, you have to look above the terracotta colored barrel to see the green one on the deck.

If you are interested I will try to get more detailed photos for you. One thing I like about this setup is that I can move the gutters away from my top barrels when all the barrels are full providing me with less chance of over filling. I had my husband make it so I didn't have to permanently connect the gutter parts coming down from the main gutter. Maybe you could design something that would send any over flow out of the area.

I hope all this makes sense, let me know if you have any other questions.
Yes I have a few but will start with these. Yes I would like to see a few more pictures if it's no problem. The ideal looks like what I might do for the utility shed with a long (2 sheets lenght of tin roofing wide) which also conects to the carport. I'm thinking of replacing the tin with something like Rockporter mentions. Then connect a series of rain barrels down the carport (backside) which I can get about 12 55 gal barrels there in a series (more if in a stack series)

So I am also looking for ideals on converting angle shed like roofing area into a semi greenhouse - the flooring isn't earth like in the courtyards it is poured cement/concrete.

You mention house - rubber hose, or other types - I have been thinking of using PEX piping but don't know to much about it.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #32
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbee View Post
John I think this stuff lasts pretty long as its basically like tin, only clear plastic. Mine is around 4 years old now and so far its still doing great. I think it might start to yellow after it gets some age to it. The one thing the guy that built it said to me was he put the tin on the edges to protect it a little more so maybe that's something you want to check out?
As you can tell, I know nothing about building, I just designed it and had someone else build it
Thanks Barbee, I'll do some more searching for information about it.

Quote:
I just designed it and had someone else build it
Old April 18, 2012   #33
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Look at Lowes under Tufftex. That looks very similar to the type I have. Clear corrugated panels
Old April 18, 2012   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

John3 I have questions to ask.
Do you have a table saw and skill saw?
Do you have experience building?
And last but not least is cost a factor in what you will build it out of.

If you dont have experience cutting compound angles this can become a nightmare for you.

As to what I would build it with, I would build the frame out of treated lumber.
If money was not a factor it would be aluminum.
They also sell double thickness greenhouse panels that are far superior to single thickness.
Tempered glass is another option.

Where the greenhouse roof meets the existing roof I would have metal flashing.

This would act as a gutter for water to drain down the valley.
Don't use the greenhouse panels over the existing roof if it will not do any good as fare as letting sun hit the courtyard.
Put shingles there it will be cheaper.
Another concern is dampness.

A large part of the ventilation for your attic is going to be lost by adding these roofs to the sides of the house.(maybe)

If you hire someone to do it dont let the contractor cover up sloppy work, shortcuts and bad cuts with a caulking gun.

I hate to say it but where I live they hire cheap labor that seems to know little about anything but seem to be able to do it all.

I have seen brick mortar these guys use crumble into dust from not putting enough Portland cement in the mix.

Not trying to scare you but you need to think long and hard about attaching this to your house.
It can be done and if done correctly it will last for many years.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #35
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Yes I have a few but will start with these. Yes I would like to see a few more pictures if it's no problem. The ideal looks like what I might do for the utility shed with a long (2 sheets lenght of tin roofing wide) which also conects to the carport. I'm thinking of replacing the tin with something like Rockporter mentions. Then connect a series of rain barrels down the carport (backside) which I can get about 12 55 gal barrels there in a series (more if in a stack series)

So I am also looking for ideals on converting angle shed like roofing area into a semi greenhouse - the flooring isn't earth like in the courtyards it is poured cement/concrete.

You mention house - rubber hose, or other types - I have been thinking of using PEX piping but don't know to much about it.
I'm thinking of replacing the tin with something like Rockporter mentions.

Here is a link to Lowe's Corrugated Roof Panels, you can see many different styles to choose from here.

http://www.lowes.com/pl_Roof+Panels+Accessories_4294806362_4294937087_? cm_cr=Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters-_-Web+Activity-_-Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters+Top+Flexible-_-SC_Roofing+Ventilation++Gutters_TopFlexible_Area-_-158612_2_cat_Pop_Cat-9

Then connect a series of rain barrels down the carport (backside) which I can get about 12 55 gal barrels there in a series (more if in a stack series)

Check out this guy and his design for a stacked system, it's impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYmjJCFzYMg&feature=related

You mention house - rubber hose, or other types - I have been thinking of using PEX piping but don't know to much about it

The hose I used was just a short green garden hose and we cut off the end to connect it to the lower rain barrel. The hose connecter was used on the upper barrel and screwed into the connector supplied by the manufacturer of the rain barrel. We used some pvc pieces to make the connection at a 45 degree angle because the barrel is against the deck rail and we needed it to flow easily into the lower barrel without any constriction.

If water is an issue for you in your greenhouse area you might want to take a look at using Self Watering Containers or even Wicking Beds. By using this system you control the water runoff in your greenhouse with little water on the flooring and you save lots of water.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wicking-Beds/

Finally, I took a few photos of my setup today and labeled each photo according to what I was looking at. I have attached them. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #36
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
John3 I have questions to ask.
Do you have a table saw and skill saw?
Do you have experience building?
And last but not least is cost a factor in what you will build it out of.

If you dont have experience cutting compound angles this can become a nightmare for you.
I have some skills with working with wood-however, I don't have the tools for the work and I don't think I could do the compound angles.

A as far as cost - not unlimited to money but it could stop the project if it has to all be done by someone else. I have been wanting to do this for some time so I'll look for ways to do it. Also, I have been thinking of just adding to the south courtyard and leave the north courtyard open (looking at container gardening some tings there plus a butterfly and humming bird garden of flowers.

Quote:
As to what I would build it with, I would build the frame out of treated lumber.
If money was not a factor it would be aluminum.
They also sell double thickness greenhouse panels that are far superior to single thickness.
Tempered glass is another option.
I like the aluminum ideal- we do get some winds here. I'm still thinking about the clear Tuftex
material and thanks for the double thickness greenhouse panels note.

Quote:
Where the greenhouse roof meets the existing roof I would have metal flashing.

This would act as a gutter for water to drain down the valley.
Don't use the greenhouse panels over the existing roof if it will not do any good as fare as letting sun hit the courtyard.
Put shingles there it will be cheaper.
Another concern is dampness.
Again thanks for the tips to watch out for.

Quote:
A large part of the ventilation for your attic is going to be lost by adding these roofs to the sides of the house.(maybe)
I have some heat vents on the roof - could add a few more and/or power them up with fans (some already do this)

Quote:
If you hire someone to do it dont let the contractor cover up sloppy work, shortcuts and bad cuts with a caulking gun.

I hate to say it but where I live they hire cheap labor that seems to know little about anything but seem to be able to do it all.

I have seen brick mortar these guys use crumble into dust from not putting enough Portland cement in the mix.
This is sad but true - when I think about some of my relatives being ripped off this way . I have been lucky this way - I do seem to get some that don't want to finished what they start when a new construction site starts up.

Quote:
Not trying to scare you but you need to think long and hard about attaching this to your house.
It can be done and if done correctly it will last for many years.

Worth
Thanks for the advice Worth1
Old April 18, 2012   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No worries I love to help and confuse.

It would be a great idea to do one and leave the other open.
If you build one you will see all kinds of ways you can do the other easier and faster.
I found this out rebuilding a front end for a car one time.
I did the one side according to the book, doing this I discovered flaws in the instructions.
The other side I did my way and it took less than half the time.

I'll go to the drawing board and come up with some ideas on how to connect this to the roof.
In doing so I will be able to come up with ideas for myself.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #38
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Barbee, I love your design! When my shed bites the dust, I'll definitely be looking at this again! Dan and Val's design is similar (http://grungysgarden.blogspot.com/), but not as pretty.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #39
John3
Tomatovillian™

You got a lot for me to go through - might take several posts to get it sorted out. I am still viewing your pictures they really do show very well how the system was put together. I like how it flows around the pole and the simple way attached to the pole.
I first went to the rain barrel video nice and I like that he adds his compost tea to it. That started searching more and I found this one also that stacks a different way - I think I would add a bamboo type curtain around it or in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I'm thinking of replacing the tin with something like Rockporter mentions.

Here is a link to Lowe's Corrugated Roof Panels, you can see many different styles to choose from here.

http://www.lowes.com/pl_Roof+Panels+Accessories_4294806362_4294937087_? cm_cr=Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters-_-Web+Activity-_-Roofing+Ventilation+and+Gutters+Top+Flexible-_-SC_Roofing+Ventilation++Gutters_TopFlexible_Area-_-158612_2_cat_Pop_Cat-9

Then connect a series of rain barrels down the carport (backside) which I can get about 12 55 gal barrels there in a series (more if in a stack series)

Check out this guy and his design for a stacked system, it's impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYmjJCFzYMg&feature=related

You mention house - rubber hose, or other types - I have been thinking of using PEX piping but don't know to much about it

The hose I used was just a short green garden hose and we cut off the end to connect it to the lower rain barrel. The hose connecter was used on the upper barrel and screwed into the connector supplied by the manufacturer of the rain barrel. We used some pvc pieces to make the connection at a 45 degree angle because the barrel is against the deck rail and we needed it to flow easily into the lower barrel without any constriction.

If water is an issue for you in your greenhouse area you might want to take a look at using Self Watering Containers or even Wicking Beds. By using this system you control the water runoff in your greenhouse with little water on the flooring and you save lots of water.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wicking-Beds/

Finally, I took a few photos of my setup today and labeled each photo according to what I was looking at. I have attached them. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

I found the roof sheeting at your Lowes link - Tuftex 96" x 26" Clear Corrugated Plastic Roof Panel at $21.62 per sheet. One row is 17 1/2 or 18 1/2 sheets sense I would need two rows that would be 35 or 37 sheets for the roof (haven't figured out the sides yet (three side as one side is the concrete shed/utility building. So that would be around $760.00 to $850.00 (without tax) for the roof. Do you know what they used to attach the Tuftex together with? The three sides would need about 40 sheets that would be about $875.00 (without tax) bringing the total of about $1,725.00 (without tax) for the sheets.

Last edited by John3; April 18, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old April 18, 2012   #40
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Barbee, I love your design! When my shed bites the dust, I'll definitely be looking at this again! Dan and Val's design is similar (http://grungysgarden.blogspot.com/), but not as pretty.

j
Thanks! I wasn't sure I'd use a greenhouse enough to justify building a regular one, so this was a way I could combine a potting shed..which I desperately need ...with a growing area. I wanted something that would look like it belongs on the farm too.
Old April 18, 2012   #41
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
You got a lot for me to go through - might take several posts to get it sorted out. I am still viewing your pictures they really do show very well how the system was put together. I like how it flows around the pole and the simple way attached to the pole.
I first went to the rain barrel video nice and I like that he adds his compost tea to it. That started searching more and I found this one also that stacks a different way - I think I would add a bamboo type curtain around it or in front of it.

I found the roof sheeting at your Lowes link - Tuftex 96" x 26" Clear Corrugated Plastic Roof Panel at $21.62 per sheet. One row is 17 1/2 or 18 1/2 sheets sense I would need two rows that would be 35 or 37 sheets for the roof (haven't figured out the sides yet (three side as one side is the concrete shed/utility building. So that would be around $760.00 to $850.00 (without tax) for the roof. Do you know what they used to attach the Tuftex together with? The three sides would need about 40 sheets that would be about $875.00 (without tax) bringing the total of about $1,725.00 (without tax) for the sheets.
I liked the video of the guy with the composting included in his system as well. I'll watch the video you posted later.

I don't know about how anything was connected, especially the clear panels, I think that was Barbee that has the clear roof panels. We didn't build our deck but I remember using the metal on my brothers shed and overlapping the panels and using some caulk to stop the water from going underneath.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #42
janezee
Tomatovillian™

https://picasaweb.google.com/danvalt...23687315188738

Here's the series of Dan and Val's. It took me a while to find it.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote