Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 8, 2016   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Starlight it was my pleasure.

I do want to point out that just about everything I do with my fancy saws and stuff I can do as if I had no electricity at all.
Doing it all with hand tools.
I have trimmed a lot of houses with a handsaw and cheap wood homemade miter box and drilled a lot of holes with a hand drill called a Yankee.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #32
jillian
Tomatovillian™

"I fully admit I am lacking in building skills, so appreciate folks who share. Especially love having something look decent and don't cost an arm and a leg to build."

I concur. Thanks Worth!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #33
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Worth I'm gonna make these with hinges!! What a great idea I will be building 5 this year. Well maybe my husband will help. I wanna learn tho!
Raiquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #34
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Starlight it was my pleasure.

I do want to point out that just about everything I do with my fancy saws and stuff I can do as if I had no electricity at all.
Doing it all with hand tools.
I have trimmed a lot of houses with a handsaw and cheap wood homemade miter box and drilled a lot of holes with a hand drill called a Yankee.
Worth
The Yankee handrill, was that the one that had the handle on it that you had to turn and turn and caused you to say alot of not so nice things when the bit part slipped all the time. If it is, I sure remember it and them days. Wore alot of bandaids in them days when it would slip and catch the fingers.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The Yankee handrill, was that the one that had the handle on it that you had to turn and turn and caused you to say alot of not so nice things when the bit part slipped all the time. If it is, I sure remember it and them days. Wore alot of bandaids in them days when it would slip and catch the fingers.
No it is also known as a push drill.
Old February 9, 2016   #36
JoParrott

Worth, that will be so beautiful when it is covered with Pole Beans. What varieties are you growing? This year I will try Early Riser-it is supposed to be an old old one like Kwintus (which I have trouble finding any more) I like flat Italian type beans as opposed to round podded ones.
I envy your Bay tree- I had one in ground in FL, but can't do that here. Nothing like fresh bay leaves for seasoning roast beef or anything.
Old February 9, 2016   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Worth, that will be so beautiful when it is covered with Pole Beans. What varieties are you growing? This year I will try Early Riser-it is supposed to be an old old one like Kwintus (which I have trouble finding any more) I like flat Italian type beans as opposed to round podded ones.
I envy your Bay tree- I had one in ground in FL, but can't do that here. Nothing like fresh bay leaves for seasoning roast beef or anything.
I haven't made my mind up yet.
The soil is rather sorry in the spot but the wild beans seem to grow okay in it.
Someone sent me some giant seeds for a Japanese type runner bean but I think I will plant them in another spot.
What I have are Rattle Snake and Kentucky Wonder but I might go get a package of yard long beans and plant there.

I have two of the bay trees. one grows as an under story farther back in the trees it does fine.
When I pick the leaves I only get the ones that have been eaten on by bugs sometimes.

Worth
Old February 9, 2016   #38
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Worth- Can't see if you already said or not, but what is the spacing between each leg? 3 foot? 4 foot?

Trying to draw these into my garden plan
Old February 9, 2016   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
Worth- Can't see if you already said or not, but what is the spacing between each leg? 3 foot? 4 foot?

Trying to draw these into my garden plan
Mine were warped and so on so I think it is around 6 feet let me go check.
Yes they are about 6 feet.

Mathematically it should be 8 all the way around.

If you make 30 degree cuts on each side this will make the angle 60 degrees.
With a 60 degrees the bottom sides should equal the length of the poles you use.

I think.
But I just tossed the saw over to a quick setting and didn't really get that accurate because all side were going to be the same anyway.
Nope checked that and it is dead on checked with a gauge.

Must be the warped boards.

Worth
Old February 9, 2016   #40
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Dang that's not a tepee that's a 2 bedroom house! :O lol. Okay well...I might have to make mine a bit more slender in stature...
Old February 9, 2016   #41
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Set your saw blade on 22.5 and it will come out to about 3 feet or 15 will make it about 2 feet.

The stupid magnetic digital angle gauge I have reads what both cuts together will be not what the cut is.
In other words I can set the blade on 30 according to the saw gauge and the magnetic gauge says 60.

Worth
Old February 9, 2016   #42
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Now this is to cut the block to screw the boards to.
If the end of the boards were cut like this it would be the inverse of it if that makes since.
Angles are confusing sometimes.

Worth
Old February 15, 2016   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Don't want to buy a 2X6 to make the octagon Tepee so I have cut a clean edge on two pieces of 2X4 and glued them up.
In about an hour I will be able to cut the octagon from it.
We will see how this fiasco turns out.
Worth
Old February 15, 2016   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Found this link to an octagon calculator going to drop it here.
When I get mine cut out to 6 1/2 inches square it should be 2 11/16ths on all sides.
Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MDA89p57dTaK5A
Old February 15, 2016   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It worked.
One octopus octagon base.
Worth
IMG_20160215_55699.jpg

IMG_20160215_2712.jpg

IMG_20160215_42281.jpg