Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 3, 2015   #1
Patchofdirt
Tomatovillian™

Default disease resistant Rootstock

I've had great luck growing grafted tomatoes. Two years ago, fusarium wilt killed all of my heirloom tomatoes. Last season, I grafted all my heirlooms onto Celebrity and I harvested 70 pounds or more of tomatoes. You can read about it all on my site:

http://www.patchofdirtonline.com/taste-of-summer/

For me, grafting has made a night and day difference. I'd like to try grafting peppers and eggplant this year. I tried to graft bell peppers to tomato rootstock but I had zero success. The pepper scion would take to the rootstock, but it'd fail to grow and shrivel up.

Are there any hot and sweet peppers available that are resistant to fusarium and verticillium wilt? I've browsed for hours on the internet and have yet to find any, but I thought maybe I'd ask someone here. I know there are some that are resistant to phtphythora. The only way I've grown peppers successfully is to plant in pots.
Patchofdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about specific diseases; but, in my experience, both C. chinense and baccatuum are more disease resistant than C. annum. You might look into some of the wild types as well.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

You might keep checking with dpseeds. They carry alot of disease resistant rootstock types. You might even contact them for suggestions.

http://www.dpseeds.com/rootstock
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote