Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 30, 2013   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default Mostly Mystery swap questions

This thread will be for questions about varieties received, and any other questions. I'll start it off.

Many of you will receive...

"Blue Suede-uth Shoes" F1 (RL)

...and would likely have questions about it.

It's a small/medium red globe with dark purple to black shoulders.

This is what I believe is a natural cross of OSU Blue and Brandywine Sudduth, from my garden in 2011. I'm estimating I saved about seven tomatoes, so maybe 1 in 7 will be RL, and the rest PL (Brandywine Sudduth). That's if no other crossing took place.

I know what Brandywine tastes like. I don't know what a suede shoes tastes like. In my garden, it was a toss-up as to which it more resembled in flavor. But then, red tomatoes are usually lousy tasting, from my garden.

I also have F2 and F3 seed, not sent in the swap.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2013   #2
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Ok, dumb question time. I sent some of the same type in multiples of ten, and as many of the wishlist types as I could find in my stash. What was I supposed to request? "Send me whatever, I prefer reds and canners and pinks and dwarfs" seems like it's putting a lot of the onus on you! Am I over thinking this? Am I also super excited to see what shows up? HECK yes!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll look through your wish list sheet tonight. If I remember correctly, you've been "sponsored" in the Cherry/Grape category (twice). That would mean getting ~20 different cherry and grape varieties back, for starters.

Gary
Old December 4, 2013   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Black and Red Boar...a striped?, a bi-color?, or both?

I need to find out, and then get back to the donor on whether they want Striped category, or Yellow/Gold/Orange/Bi-color/White category varieties, or both.
Old December 4, 2013   #5
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Gary,
Black and Red boar is striped (orange and green stripes, not black and red ), but the flesh is not bi-colored. I would gladly accept tomatoes from both categories (striped + bi-color/yellow/orange)
Here is the picture of one of my Black and Red Boar tomatoes:

Last edited by green_go; December 4, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
green_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2013   #6
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

That's gorgeous!!
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2013   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Ok, dumb question time. I sent some of the same type in multiples of ten, and as many of the wishlist types as I could find in my stash. What was I supposed to request? "Send me whatever, I prefer reds and canners and pinks and dwarfs" seems like it's putting a lot of the onus on you! Am I over thinking this? Am I also super excited to see what shows up? HECK yes!
I don't see a "specific variety" wish list, just specific category types.

If you'd like, you still have time to PM me a wish list of 10, or so, varieties.

For now it looks like I'll be sending back...

~25 pinks
~20 hearts
~20 cherries
~15 paste/canners (these might be mostly paste types)
~10 dwarf/determinate
~5 blacks
~5 striped
~5 y/g/o/bc/w
4 hot weather
3 greens
2 blues

...and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old December 6, 2013   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I will take the pear tree LOL. This freeze will probably get mine :-(

Last edited by newatthiskat; December 6, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2013   #9
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Our printer broke about four minutes before I went upstairs to print my lovely letter to you, my toddler was chewing on my hair, and my "sure I'll drop that off at the post office for you as you seem to have enough troubles right now" person was tapping her foot impatiently. Can't understand how I forgot to write down my top three or so.

I will PM you ASAP.

(I'm starting to get ridiculously excited about the pinks. Is it just me or are they creeping up in popularity lately?)
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Bumping to the top, because the questions have begun.
Old January 10, 2014   #11
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Then I will move my last swap question over here...I had three varieties I was having trouble identifying, but that has been reduced to one: I have a batch of seeds in a 2 x 2 packet that seems to have been made from a page from a very colorful bean catalog...the seeds are labeled 'Tomato URI 2013.' Any ideas?
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #12
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

Default Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Please excuse if this is not the best place but I can't see where elsle to post so...

Thank You!

My parcel arrived yesterday but I postponed opening it 'till this evening like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

And today as I looked through the treats you've sent I feel like a 7 year old with the coolest thing to have. A diamond fellow Gary for organising and a lovely community here for sharing. Thank you all.

I now have a project just discovering the potential of these new varieties. Happy days.
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #13
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliJez View Post
Please excuse if this is not the best place but I can't see where elsle to post so...

Thank You!

My parcel arrived yesterday but I postponed opening it 'till this evening like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

And today as I looked through the treats you've sent I feel like a 7 year old with the coolest thing to have. A diamond fellow Gary for organising and a lovely community here for sharing. Thank you all.

I now have a project just discovering the potential of these new varieties. Happy days.
Ditto
Holy Moly! I don't have enough trays to start just one of each type. Now to research and prioritize.

Great job and thanks Gary,

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Then I will move my last swap question over here...I had three varieties I was having trouble identifying, but that has been reduced to one: I have a batch of seeds in a 2 x 2 packet that seems to have been made from a page from a very colorful bean catalog...the seeds are labeled 'Tomato URI 2013.' Any ideas?
Someone asked the same question in that other thread.

All I can find at Google is the following:

https://www.google.com/#q=tomato+variety+URI

URI stands for the University of Rhode Island and there are quite a few varieties listed, but none specifically named URI.

So perhaps an unnamed variety from one of the trials at some time and the 2013 indicates when the seeds were produced by the person sending in the seeds..

Carolyn
Old January 11, 2014   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll search through the stacks of paper and find the source who sent URI. Perhaps it was one of the Gardenweb participants.

Gary