Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 7, 2022   #1
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Default rest of the 2022 garden

Well, already posted the tomato list, so hears what else I'm putting in. Since I drastically increased the number of tomatoes (from 15 last year to 35-40 this year) I had to cut back on a lot of other stuff because I was running out of room. This list is subject to change, as I am looking at a different apartment that would give me roughly twice the room or a bit more to use for garden. If that happens, then things I would normally grow but don't have planned this year will be added in once I get an area measured and staked out and can plan things out. But for now:

Prizehead Lettuce (free gift from seedsnsuch.com)
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
De Cicco Broccoli
Freedom Cauliflower
Spineless Supreme Zucchini
Jupiter Bell Pepper
Blue Lake 274 green beans

So what is everyone else growing or planning on growing this year?
Old February 7, 2022   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My focus this year, apart from tomatoes, is

Chive flowers
Spigariello
Blue Mustard
Aji Amarillo peppers
Squash blossoms
Napoletano basil
Chokame corn

Those are the main things.
Old February 7, 2022   #3
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

I might try to sneak some herbs in somewhere Fred. If you want squash blossoms, I should have lots off the zucchini I'll put in 3 hills with 3-4 plants in each Shipping them to you intact and in decent condition might be a bit of a challenge though.

Are the Aji Amarillo peppers a super hot pepper? I don't know that I've ever heard of them. The one's I'm trying this year are supposed to be basically a large jalapeno, but with about twice the normal heat of a jalapeno.
Old February 7, 2022   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

As usual too many tomatoes for this small yard but there will also be strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, rhubarb and the fruit trees, lots of flowers, zinnias, cosmos, roses, sunflowers and my wildly weedy pollinator garden along the road.
Assorted veggies beans, snow peas,potatoes,peppers, eggplant, onions garlic, lots of herbs, cukes squash,…. All in small rows and not that much of any one thing really. Just a fun jumbled assortment of a bit of everything
Excited to get started! Too soon here yet.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #5
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Way too soon here too Karen, we've currently got about 11" of snow on the ground and the high today was about 25....
Old April 21, 2022   #6
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm getting closer and closer to having things in the ground here. Soil tests done, fertilizer plan "kind of" in place, and ground worked for the first time. Cauliflower and Broccoli are up, had some death loss as always, but have enough of both this year to hit my targeted number of plants in the ground. The real success this year has to be my peppers. for the first time ever I repotted the same number of peppers (bells and jalapenos) as what sprouted and came up!
Old April 23, 2022   #7
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Wolf View Post
Well, I'm getting closer and closer to having things in the ground here. Soil tests done, fertilizer plan "kind of" in place, and ground worked for the first time. Cauliflower and Broccoli are up, had some death loss as always, but have enough of both this year to hit my targeted number of plants in the ground. The real success this year has to be my peppers. for the first time ever I repotted the same number of peppers (bells and jalapenos) as what sprouted and came up!
Hello D J Wolf

Why are you having death loss of your plants from Cauliflower to Broccoli?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2022   #8
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello D J Wolf

Why are you having death loss of your plants from Cauliflower to Broccoli?
I always have a little loss, be it a weak plant, something I miss watering, or something else. It's ok though, because I always over plant to start with
Old April 24, 2022   #9
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Other than tomatoes: Broccoli 'Green Magic' and bell peppers, 'Corona' and 'Revolution'
plus 'Jedi' jalapeno. Kohlrabi was a bust. Lettuce 'MTO' and 'Hanson'.
Old April 25, 2022   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Rutabaga is new to my Farm this year. It was not my favorite as a child, but an important crop for the Contraband Slaves to grow in the font of Fort Monore to help feed Union Soldiers and Major Benjamin Butlers during the Civil War. A very important crop to trade with Free Citizens and Native Americans in North Carolina and South Carolina.

Last edited by MrsJustice; April 25, 2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old April 27, 2022   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Rutabaga is new to my Farm this year. It was not my favorite as a child, but an important crop for the Contraband Slaves to grow in the font of Fort Monore to help feed Union Soldiers and Major Benjamin Butlers during the Civil War. A very important crop to trade with Free Citizens and Native Americans in North Carolina and South Carolina.
The best part of Rutabagas is the tops. They are my favorite greens.
Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2022   #12
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Well, I can not wait to taste the top. I put breaks driving past a local Farmer's Market seeing them displayed last year. They were so big. My Great Aunt Annie cooked them all the time during my summers in N. C.. She was a Cherokee Indian on my Daddy's side of the Family. But when I got to my Mother's side of the family from New Jersey during the summertime in N C & S C; they told me I was just like my Great Grandfather on my Mother's side of the family who came to Virginia. I just wanted to help any Farmer, Amen!! Only found the Rutabagas to taste bad, but loved taking care of them growing in the Gardens.
I hope the green tops of the Rutabagas taste better.

Please share some recipes.
Old July 8, 2022   #13
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Well, it's a fairly successful year so far. Most of the main broccoli heads have been harvested, some cooked right up and eaten and some frozen. I think I've harvested 6 of the 9 plants, and have over 3 pints frozen, plus almost that much already eaten and enjoyed!

Cauliflower is coming on, seeing head forming on a couple plants already.

Green beans are flowering nicely, think I'll probably be starting to pick on them in the next week if the rains that started here last week ever stop. As I'm typing this, I'd almost need a canoe to get into the garden.

The leaf lettuces are producing nicely, I've picked probably 3 gallons of lettuce off so far, and more ready to go as soon as I can get in to pick it. I'll probably be starting a second crop of this soon.

Zucchini are setting fruit nicely, I'm hoping to get the first one by the end of this weekend, again assuming I can get into the garden without sinking to my kneecaps.

Fall crop planting has started, I planted more broccoli, cauliflower, and peas in starter trays yesterday. Will be letting them get good and started before planting them out around the 10th or so of August.

Went through a very dry June this year, with only 1.8" of rain the entire month. July seems to be trying to make up for that, with 2" on the 4th, and it rained basically all night last night and is still raining this morning. I"ll maybe start a new thread with growing season rainfall totals just for the fun of it!