Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 20, 2009   #1
Anijunga
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions

Hello,

I'm trying to decided which potato varieties to grow this year and could use your help in narrowing down my choices.

My local nursery just came out with their seed potatoes and I was hoping to get some feedback from those who may have grown some of them. They are:

AC Chaleur
All Blue
All Red
Cherokee
Granola
Irish Cobbler
Kennebec
Norland
Red Chieftan
Red Pontiac
Russet Burbank
Shepody
Spunta
Superior
Yukon Gold

I'm looking to grow 2 - 3 varieties with the following caveats:
  • I have to grow a red-skinned potato for my father-in-law.
  • I grew Norland and Yukon Gold last year and want to try something new (All Red looks neat).
  • I would like to have a high yield in my northern, short growing season.
Thanks!

Kathy
Old April 20, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Kathy,

Yukon Gold is a must have! It does perform well, no matter which way you cook it. Yukon Gold Potato History

Red Chieftan is the red I would go for, for your father in law. A red-skinned potato with attractive appearance and broad adaptability.

Cherokee
: High yielding variety; widely adapted, particularly to mineral and muck soils; good resistance to skinning and bruising; good storability; high total solids.

~* Robin
Old April 20, 2009   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Kathy, i grow All blue(called "Old blue"here in NZ),i find it being a short season/average yielding cropper,very reliable and taste 6/10.

Richard
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #4
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Irish Cobbler....one of the finest tasting spuds around!
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could find some Irish Cobbler seed potatoes around here- I've always heard they have such a great taste. Never do find them around here, though.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #6
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to TV, I can't help you with the potato question but we are glad you joined the maddness.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Thank you.

I am so tempted by so many potatoes being discussed and not able to find them! There's the Irish Cobbler, the Lumper, the Belle de Fontenay and more- but they all sound so much better than the typical potatoes we can buy here in the stores. If anyone has some sources they care to share for buying any of the above, or even other potato, please do let me know!

We're growing some potatoes for the first time ever here ( and for me too)- Kerr's Pink, Maris Piper, Banana fingerlings. I'm excited about the end results, of course, but I'm surprised at how pretty the plants are so far.

It's good they are pretty, as I dug up the front yard. We have large pecans in the back yard area and very small areas to grow in, so I try to use all we can. I'll put a few more potatoes in yet this year, in another raised bed, and tomatoes out front, too.

I was curious- a few things do well near the pecans- squash family and beans- but does anyone know if sweet potatoes will be okay with the pecans or do they also need to go in the front?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote