Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2007   #1
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Default New Here

Hi Everyone! I live in upstate NY in Schoharie County. (That's where Howe Caverns is located.) Live high on the mountain with a nice big garden.

This yr I will probably plant at least 35 mater plants. Seems like alot for only 2 people. I am growing Sub Arctic Plenty, Yellow Pear, Yellow Plum (It is from SSE but I can't think of the name.), San Marzano and black cherry. I would like to do a few more heirloom varieties- at least a red pear.

I always leave a few volunteer plants. I am curious "if" and "how" the plants may have cross bred. A nice one last season was a golf ball sized red "grape" tomato.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the forums!!

I don't see any beefsteak or large globe sized tomatoes on your list. Have you not had good results with them in the past?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #3
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Welcome Aboard

You may plant 35 tomatoes for now but after a few days aboard you will be planning for many more and I know you will enjoy many hours of good company.
Spider
Old January 8, 2007   #4
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Flower Power, I hope you enjoy yourself hereabouts.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from me too.
I hope you like it here and hope you realize you have entered a site that is known for its tomato fanaticism.
There isn’t a better place to go on this planet to find information on tomatoes and such.
Just a great bunch of folks all around.

A little warning though, ‘keep an eye on landarc kctomato papa Vic and that Worth guy.
Enjoy,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

35 today...50 tomorrow.....it just will grow. I bet if you hang around long your list will change! Welcome!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #7
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Flower Power?

You must be really old!

Welcome :wink:

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #8
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Welcome! FlowerPower

That's a puny lil' ol' list you've got there. We need to get you fixed up right. :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2007   #9
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to the 'ville flowerpower. There are a lot of "tomato smart" folks here.

p.s. The forementioned "tomato smart" people are not to be confused with me.
Old January 9, 2007   #10
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Welcome FlowerPower!

Before long your family and friends are going to think you've gone off the deep end if you hang out here long enough!

Jennifer, who in a few short years has gone from growing a couple of better boys each summer to having a seed collection of several dozen varieties...and counting...some of which I harvest and saved myself

You'll like it here
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #11
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

“flowerpower” huh?

I like you already! I second most of what was said above and welcome you as you embark on an adventure that can only be explained by my friends and family as a dive off the deep end.

I think you’ll like it here as it is somewhat like a commune. We share seeds, techniques, and stories of the latest and greatest tomato varieties.

Feel free to join in any time.

RIK 8)
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoville is the name and Tomatoes are the game. Welcome and Earl is right, that list of yours needs some mending. Ask and ye shall receive. Great bunch of folks with an international flavor, or something like that. Ami, on the other side of the pond.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #13
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the nice welcome , everyone. So 35 is not too many? Whew! :wink: Yes my list is small-sized varieties. I have not had that much luck with big maters. I end up picking most of them green and paper- bagging them.

You really think my list is small? lol Well, I am open to suggestions. I don't really have much to trade at the moment though.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower
Thanks for the nice welcome , everyone. So 35 is not too many? Whew! :wink: Yes my list is small-sized varieties. I have not had that much luck with big maters. I end up picking most of them green and paper- bagging them.

You really think my list is small? lol Well, I am open to suggestions. I don't really have much to trade at the moment though.
Your list should be whatever you think you and all your neighbors, friends, long-lost relatives, the mailmain, etc. will eat.

If I get the production that most people on here talk about, I probably only NEED 8 plants. But I want to try so many varieties to know what tastes best, and of course variety is the spice of life. When I read people's lists of 20, 30, 50, 100 varieties, my 25 doesn't seem so crazy.

I think it's certainly possible to grow the bigger ones if you start them early and get them in the ground when you can safely do so.

There are many techniques, like putting down black plastic for the month before planting to warm up the soil, when you do put the plant out, putting a cage and wrapping the cage with plastic (except leaving the top open), or using a rather pricey but popular season-extending item called a Wall of Water. It looks roughly like a dozen 2-liter bottles that have been sewn together. The idea is you fill them all with warm water and the sun takes over, heating them enough during the day to protect the plants at night.

There are some varieties that get the job done a bit earlier. Of course the same tomato variety grown in different gardens in different years can have wildly different lengths of time before they provide ripe fruit. In some years, so-called "Earlies" can sometimes come later than the "mid-seasons".

Some varieties that get mentioned for being a bit early to the table (Which I am growing for the first time this year) are Gregori's Altai, Kimberly, Jet Star, and Earliana. Some people like Silvery Fir Tree (like me), some much prefer Stupice or its brother Matina. Both produce 4-8oz tomatoes quite early with a good but not fantastic flavor.

I'm sure the folks with years of experience will chime in with suggestions. I'd be curious to know what you have tried and what date you are starting seeds and what date you are planting out transplants and any methods you've tried.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #15
Rena
Tomatovillian™

IF my husband would let me fill in the pool I could plant more Morgan, You could fill your pool right up too.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote