Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 14, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default BrandyTad F3 surprise

You may recall that Lucky Cross and Little Lucky originated with a cross between Brandywine and, I assume, an obscure variety called Tad (thanks to bees flying around in 1993). The F1 was a regular leaf pink with vertical yellow fine stripes.

Last year I grew out 11 of the F2s from that cross, and got all sorts of things - a heart, stripes of this and that color, etc - some reg leaf, some potato leaf.

This year I am growing 3 seedlings from 4 of the F2s. One of the more interesting ones last year was a round medium pink with yellow stripes on a regular leaf plant.

Well, this year a regular leaf seeling from seed from that fruit is giving me a heart shaped fruit with stripes! The plant has Fusarium, the fruit are still small - so fingers crossed that I can end up with a fruit that I can save seeds from! A few others are giving me striped fruit as well, and I have at least one other heart....
Old July 14, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

The Lucky Cross seed (from Victory) that threw an RL seedling now has smallish fruit ... about 3 - 4 ounces ... mostly pointed or somewhat heart shaped, red with yellow stripes, very sweet, tomatoey, but not tart. When they're green ripe, they have distinct dark green striping on a light green background not unlike Indian Stripes.

I only saved a few seeds so far because once the second wave started ripening most of the fruit started developing concentric cracks. It has been extremely wet here for the past week. My entire seed garden in a mire and most of my plants are in a droop or wilt I guess due to oxygen starvation.

I'm waiting to see if they go back to making the nice smooth fruit and I'll save a few more seeds.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very interesting! There are some real mysteries in this line.

Here are two that are going to be interesting - this is one of the potato leaf F3s

And this is a regular leaf F3, and pretty exciting -

Old July 16, 2006   #4
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

A Lucky Tiger's Heart, eh?

PP, thinking about names... altho the above sounds very Asian
Old July 16, 2006   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

The fruit on the Lucky Cross RL doesn't look anything like that ... it's only randomly striped here and there more like an Indian Stripe not all over like a Green Zebra.

Also it doesn't have that pronounced of a point on the blossom end ... so, it's nothin' like the one in your picture.

How about "Lucky Strike?"

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007   #6
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow.. some spectacularly unusual results.. Craig, any new developments here?