Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 5, 2007   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Prue X Marianna's Peace

I got the F2s of some Prue X Marianna's Peace and of the 15 or so I started I picked only 2 to grow. I picked the one with the wispiest regular foliage and a potato leaf plant.

One thing that I noticed was that as the potato leaf plant gets bigger that the potato leaf foliage has a droopy wispiness about it that I haven't seen before.

Very cool, can't wait to see what shape the tomatoes will have and what they taste like!

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Since the wispiness is so evident, the shape will be most likely much like Prue tomatoes: see this image...http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/prue11.jpg

If the wispiness is homozygous that shape will be very similar. If it is still heterozygous, which I doubt, it will be just a tad like an Oxheart tomato. You have already stated that you had 15 plants, and odds are with that number to select from...its likely homozygous if it the wispiest of the family.

The potato leaf expression will have little or no influence on the shape, in my opinion.

Droopy potato leaf tomatoes are part of my inventory of segregated tomato lines. I use them because of the pile of recessive traits are fun to work with in hybrids.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Tom,

I am betting you have enough seeds but if the Droopy Potato leaf turns out to taste good I'll send you some seeds :-)

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2007   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Greg,

Thanks for the offer. You shouldn't have to worry too much about the flavor, you will have it. Knowing Marianna's Peace quite well, the segregation for that flavor might take a few more generations to stabilize and/or enhance. Depending on which has more flavor to you, either Prue or Marianna's Peace, whatever filial generation you achieve could be backcrossed to the best flavored line. My guess is that you may like MP better? Just a thought.

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote