Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 19, 2012   #1
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Mystery changing colour

As the years past,i'm noticing there's more white appearing on the inside of my Mystery potato line,so this season just past i started to cut open a few from each plant and only kept spuds for replanting from the plants that had the most purple,anyone got thoughts on whether this will help,i would have thought that been a clone the colours would be stable from one year to the next

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #2
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Potatoes are chimeras, nutrition also can play a part. do you use anything to "re-mineralize" your soil?
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I'll pay attention to your mystery clone that I have to see if it shows white here as well as the F2 selections from Mystery TPS . In their segregation the solid purple that I have has a round shape and the urenika shape has more white but was really good flavor.
Old July 19, 2012   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Wingnut, what do you mean by 'chimera'? My understanding of the term refers to when one organism is composed of cells of more than one distinct genetic type.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2012   #5
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

Darren, google chimera potato. There are many explainations better than I can give.
Old July 19, 2012   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Potatoes are chimeras, nutrition also can play a part. do you use anything to "re-mineralize" your soil?
Yes i added rock phosphate two years ago,i'm about to get some more Granite dust and spread that over and each season i apply http://www.tuigarden.co.nz/product/t...lue-fertiliser

I dont lime because the PH is 6.5.

Old July 19, 2012   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
I'll pay attention to your mystery clone that I have to see if it shows white here as well as the F2 selections from Mystery TPS . In their segregation the solid purple that I have has a round shape and the urenika shape has more white but was really good flavor.
In yet the Urenika grown by other gardening friends doen't have any white.
It will be interesting to see how the colours in your Mystery turn out Wendy

Old July 19, 2012   #8
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Oh really? Then maybe is something about soil since I grew more than one plant I can cut open several and take pictures for you. None has made berries yet but they are still in bloom. I am way behind taking pictures this year. I did a walkthrough in my potato patch and spotted few berries. This year has been over 90F and that causes issues.
Old July 19, 2012   #9
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

wendy do you hand pollinate?
Old July 20, 2012   #10
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Doug to be complete honest...no I don't. I let the bees do the work because I like open pollination and also because I am afraid that if I cross into that territory I will become obsessed with it.

I tried last year with Skagit Valley Gold and Squat Orange, I made few crosses but none took.

This year I've seen berries on Azule Rose, Cosima x Kern Toro, Huagalina, Yungay so no much going on.
Old July 20, 2012   #11
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

An easy way to do it is collect pollen from multiple plants then mix and dab with a paint brush. Same as what the bees do, but more productive.
Old July 20, 2012   #12
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Something ive never tried either but should really have a go at though.

Ive got some TPS of Cara,Moie moie and Catriona that i'm planing on sowing this weekend but i would like to have been able to have had TPS from Rima which never produces berries,so do you think i may get berries from it if i gave the hand pollinated a try.

Old July 20, 2012   #13
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

The difference between the plots I hand pollinate and don't is hundreds to one. Seriously! I use a vibrating tool and a shot glass to collect pollen in the morning, then just go down the rows dabbing it on the pistils with a small paint brush as I go. to make specific crosses takes me a little longer as I have to emasculate unopened flowers and remove all blossoms not emasculated and pollinated by me. Those I repeatedly dab pollen from donor for 3-4 consecutive days (although I usually get berry set within 48hrs if I'm gonna get it).
Old July 21, 2012   #14
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
The difference between the plots I hand pollinate and don't is hundreds to one. Seriously! I use a vibrating tool and a shot glass to collect pollen in the morning, then just go down the rows dabbing it on the pistils with a small paint brush as I go.
So are you doing this within the same variety

Old July 22, 2012   #15
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I use tetreploid pollen on tetraploids and diploid pollen on diploids. I mix multiple varieties when I do this.So They are truely open pollinated as I do not know which pollen produced the berries.
I also do specific crosses where I emasculate the flower use specific pollen donor, and tag the flower cluster. When I do this I remove ALL buds not emasculated to prevent confusion.