Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 19, 2013   #61
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

It shouldn't.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #62
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Check your corn if it is/is not BT corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
@Marsha Great that you have the muck. I also have the earthworms and grubs. I will be monitoring this thread for the video.

@awsumth I have many lizards around my house and my old cypress tree. I do not see many out in the garden though. Maybe not enough hiding places for them there. Maybe when my corn gets taller I will see some out there.

@Tom Thanks!

@Scott Will BT harm the earthworms? I will do a search to see what I can find.

Time to mow my grass and do a few things in garden.

Later,

Mike
A lot of corn nowadays is modified with the BT strain in it.
Old March 19, 2013   #63
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kurt! I got my seed packet (Sweet Corn Sumptuous insect guard F!), read it, and googled every thing that is treated with. All the treated chemicals are fungicides except for one.

(Cruiser 5 FS) The active ingredient in Cruiser, thiamethoxam, is a systemic insecticide in the neonicotinoid class of chemicals. Being a systemic insecticide, Cruiser is absorbed and distributed within the plant as it grows. An insect is exposed to a dose of insecticide when it feeds on the seed or young plant.

For field corn, pop corn, seed corn, and sweet corn the Cruiser label states: "To provide early season protection of seedlings against injury by wireworm, seedcorn maggot, southern corn leaf beetle, chinch bug, flea beetle, white grub, and suppression of cutworm.

Looks like it works on young plants but gradually dissipates. My plants are now about 18" tall.

Thanks for the tip. It made me research more information and learned something else today.
Old March 19, 2013   #64
kurt
Tomatovillian™

All that seems like a good method but I have read that the critters are building some resistancys to those introduced practices.Seems like you can't win here in South Florida.It is almost like a race where you have to outgrow them before the critters and disease catch up.That is what is really nice about these forums here on Tville that everyone shares thier input and we all learn.Thanks for the input on those bugs you identify and post ,I have learned alot.
Old March 20, 2013   #65
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Oh Crap!!!!

Just found 2 of these on a Bell Pepper that I transplanted in the garden 2 days ago. Some one had give me 3 plants. I squashed them and will keep an eye out for me before I bring out the big guns. But I understand the grubs feed on the roots then emerge as these to eat the plants. Here they are called the Apopka root weevil but I had posted a picture in the first post on this thread.

The invasive exotic Diaprepes Root Weevil, Diaprepes abbreviatus. Though it is beautiful, this Caribbean native has naturalized in Florida “where it has become a serious pest especially of citrus and woody ornamentals” ‘The weevil was accidentally introduced into Florida in the 1960s and caused extensive damage. It has been intercepted in shipments of plants to California.’ Said to feed on some 270 different plants, it’s described as ‘a significant threat to both urban and agricultural trees and plants.

Old March 20, 2013   #66
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

"Some kind of plant hopper or leaf hopper. I can not positively identify it on the internet. It is only about 3/8" long. What ever it is it is chewing on my pea pods."

Mike, let me know if you find out what that green hopper is. I have them in my tomato garden, and they are awful! They girdle my young tomato plants, and smaller stems on older tomato plants.
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
2nd Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #67
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Hello Caroline, I never did find the exact name of this hopper. But, as REDBARON said, there are thousands of different hoppers as I found while searching. All I know is that they can be devastating to your plants.
Old March 30, 2013   #68
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4jess View Post
That last one kind of looks like my ex.
lmao Jess !

Those are great pics, but eww. I really hate bugs. I tolerate the good ones and run away from the rest haha
Old April 2, 2013   #69
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Had a couple of visitors show up today in one of my orange trees. Hopefully they will move along in a couple of days.

Old April 2, 2013   #70
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

You should buy a bee hive and hope they move in!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old April 2, 2013   #71
mikej
Tomatovillian™

We have plenty around here Scott. I also have grandsons 4 yr old and 9 month old. The 4 yr old likes to ride his electric John Deere tractor around that tree. I would sure feel bad if he got stung.
Old April 2, 2013   #72
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
We have plenty around here Scott. I also have grandsons 4 yr old and 9 month old. The 4 yr old likes to ride his electric John Deere tractor around that tree. I would sure feel bad if he got stung.
Understandable

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old April 2, 2013   #73
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
You should buy a bee hive and hope they move in!
+1 , what I would give for those sexy little pollen love makers. In California each year they truck in Millions and millions if bees to supplement the downward spiral of our natural numbers.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #74
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
+1 , what I would give for those sexy little pollen love makers. In California each year they truck in Millions and millions if bees to supplement the downward spiral of our natural numbers.
I have heard about that in California. That is sad. There are still plenty here on the northern edge of the Everglades. I see them every day around my garden. They can come to visit all they want, Just don't want them to move in. We also have some Africanized strain around. Those are some bad dudes. I had an employee get stung over 80 times around his head. In his ears, in his nose, and all around his head.
Old April 3, 2013   #75
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Thankfully they moved on. Found out today that one of my neighbors about 1/4 mile behind my house has become a beekeeper within the last few months. No wonder I have been seeing more bees around the garden and yard. I will ask if I can trade some maters for some honey.