Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 12, 2023   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default soil sampling questions

Hi:
My university extension center doesn't do soil samples, but instead provides a list of commercial groups that perform soil analysis for a fee (and it's kind of pricey).

These vendors provide instructions for gathering a sample which includes collection from a few different sections of the garden.

The specific 8x20 garden bed I'd like to test seems to have differing compositions - one area is quite dry, more clumpy hard clay with almost no visible organic matter, another area is a wett-ish clay with improving texture, and a third area seems to have much more organic matter in it. Part of this is because the bed is on a hill.

Do I need to do separate tests for the garden sections that have differing soil, or just take samples from each section and use the results as an "average" ?
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2023   #2
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Virginia Tech does out-of-state soil testing; fees are at this link: https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/fees-and-forms.html

Maybe some other universities closer to you (neighboring states, maybe) also provide this service. Or check some of the other big agricultural universities around the country like Penn State, etc. Oregon State does out-of-state testing but you have to contact them first to make sure there are no biological threats from your area's soils.

Virginia Tech provides detailed sampling instructions, including how to decide which areas to sample and how many separate samples to submit. Go to this link and then click on "home gardener" at the bottom of the page to get a PDF with the instructions. https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/sampling-insttructions.html

It looks like the basic answer to your question is, if you have distinctly different soils in your garden, you shouldn't mix them together in one sample. They give some advice about how to decide which areas should be sampled separately.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2023   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I agree to NOT mix the samples. Our University does not do soil samples either, but they do recommend several local soil labs. Here we have good labs that do basic soil testing for a low cost. Maybe your extension could give their recommended labs in your state. If not, most professional labs have an internet presence.
Old June 12, 2023   #4
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Perfect, thank you!

I had no clue we could go out of state. The professional labs here start at $75 for a basic analysis, and adding on more details stacks that up to over $100. Multiplied by 4-5 samples (I have two other garden areas I'd like to test) and it's pricey.
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2023   #5
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I've used this Penn State soil test service for almost 20 yrs. The cost has increased slightly since I last used it and now it is $10.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrF...9_CER0CHBrTbg-

Dan
Old June 12, 2023   #6
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe that you really need a soil sample, I've never had mine tested at either location that I've lived and have grown world record tomatoes at both locations! Start adding compost to get your biology going and do no- till and you'll be amazed at what you can grow.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote