Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 9, 2013   #436
Paradajz
Tomatovillian™

hi, N.,

sorry, been ill for a while.
what's the status there, anything new?
didn't like the apearance of n2 ( MP ) on the photo set previous to the last one, clear mite damage on the branch which appear the closest, but quite some unclear yellowing on a couple of back side branches, a possible indication for F there.
Paradajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2013   #437
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics 10/7/13

Hi Ivan,

I'm sorry to learn you've been under the proverbial weather. I took these pics a couple days ago in the morning. The CP seems to be doing the best of the group, but even he is sagging some. He's showing some sad looking blooms, but the biggest issue is that the vines aren't growing bigger. We've had idea weather here this past couple weeks (~80-88F/~50-55F, day-night). I guess it's getting a bit cold at night for optimum. I've seen less evidence of mite damage of late, though some of the leaves have been curling (probably for other reasons). I probably should give the vines a hit of fertilizer soon. I've been watering in the trenches we discussed every three to four days.

I realize the pics aren't very telling with the contrast and stark dark/light exposure. The best time to capture photos is on a cloudy day, so I'll keep an eye out for one and try to take more detailed pics showing the stems and branches.

On the bright side, I think the broccoli are all quite happy and zooming along well. I have another 20 or so of the old plants to pull down yet. It's taking time!!

Well I hope you feel better now.

Thanks for texting in.
-n
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1001.jpg (239.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1002.jpg (237.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1003.jpg (266.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1004.jpg (273.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1005.jpg (273.3 KB, 21 views)
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2013   #438
Paradajz
Tomatovillian™

hi, N., nice being back

well, at this point i am extremelly satisfied. all of your plants should have shown positive disease sympthoms or be gone by now. such expectation comes from the fact that it's Autumn and that the plants weren't in best shape at planting, so in a simplified explanation, both V. and F. ( F. especially ) should be much much faster in it's progress than with the regular planting conditions and season.

as for the fact that constantly bothers you- 'the stasis' your plant are in, it's actually Nature.

it's not that simple as 'ok, temps are just perfect by the book now, why the plants aren't blooming perfectly?'

first, those are far from perfect temps- to many variation between day and night.
second, temps are cooling there, and it's a process your plants directly 'feel', and react to it.
third, day- light is shortening, which also directly affects your plants.
fourth, the quantity of sun-light, and consequently the energy your plants get, is dropping from day to day.

altogether, stasis is a good word, because all those facts make your plants slowly drift into 'puting asleep' process.
sorry that i didn't answer this one earlier, i somehow presumed that you knew that one can't have full and completed tomato season in our climate ( almost identical climate over here from what i've seen there, only that yearly rainfall is extremely higher in my parts of the world ) that late.

so, i wouldn't worry, those plants actually look far better now than i would ever expect considering all the facts of the equation.
also, if i undestod correctly, you missed the sulfur treatment which should have been made and did another copper one ( the third one )?

as for broccolli, it's an Autumn/Winter crop, it's only expected that it should be thriving now. is there any presence of the leaf yellowing, in comparison to the one you were experiencing earlier?
Paradajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2013   #439
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

Yeah, I realize it was late in the year to be starting out tomato seedlings. I agree that the experiment suggests that the treatment helps with F/V. The untreated plants are now all but dead (one is), while the three treated are surviving, though one seems to be showing signs of F. I had hoped I might set a bit of fruit to see if the F goes into overdrive.

Yes, my comment about the broccoli doing well was not one out of disbelief or surprise. I grow it this time of year each year, and it does well for starters. I usually see the yellowing leaves later once the plants have matured some and I've chopped off the main head. I like to grow the side-shoots for an extended harvest. I'm looking forward to those.

Have you finished off your tomato plants there?
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote