Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2015   #1
Icefisher
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer for hydroponic tomatoes

Hello all,
My experiment with growing tomatoes in a DWC system is going well. The few plants that I am growing have gotten buds on them and I am very encouraged by that!
I have ordered and received a quantity of Master blend fertilizer along with some calcium nitrate. I am getting ready to mix these with some Epsom salt to add to my nutrient solution. I have done some research on the web and found a publication from the University of Arizona. In addition to the master blend/CaNO3/MgSO4 you also need to add trace elements of other chemicals. These are Boron, Manganese, Copper, Chlorine, Molybdenum, Zinc, and Iron. I have been trying to find the individual chemicals that are prescribed in the publication. But have not been having much success. Then I thought that I would ask the question here. Does anyone know of a source for a product that contains these elements? One product that comes to mind is Fertilome liquid Iron, but, I am even having a difficult time locating some of this.

Thanks for your help
Icefisher
Icefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I have been using a two part solution in my Kratski (sp?) float trays since inception and it works well.
'Dutch Nutrient Formula' it's 5ml per litre and the stuff grows well and tastes great.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #3
Icefisher
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer hydroponic tomatoes (OOooops)

Hello all,

I think that I have been reading too much about hydroponic tomatoes on the web and have gone into brain overload! I just looked at the label on my container of Master Blend fertilizer and it has most if not all the elements that I inquired about obtaining in my first post on this subject. Sorry for the bother!

On a slightly different subject, but still tomatoes, one of my 4th of July tomato plants has some serious leaf wilt and splotchiness going on in the lower (older leaves). The ph of the nutrient solution is 5.9, ppm is 1320, with EC of 2.11. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks
Icefisher
Icefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2015   #4
GreenFarmer
Tomatovillian™

hello icefisher, I use a similar approach in fertilizing, and i get the chemicals in parts. the chemicals that i have now are the following: calcium nitrate, potassium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, mono-potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate and a complete trace element mix. i make individual stock solutions, some people make 2 stocks A and B to seperate the calcium from the sulfate and phosphate, to avoid precipitation. I rarely if any use potassium nitrate on my tomatoes, because i find that the calcium nitrate is more than the N that tomatoes need and high N is a major concern to me.
I cannot be sure what's causing plants to look like they do, however, for bigger plants, you can probably raise the ppm but avoid the N, try to identify the deficiency and stop it with what is needed
GreenFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #5
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

4th year hydroponic grower. Bato buckets with perlite and some experimentation with pine shavings in bags which works pretty well for potato.
I have been using Yara calcinit + peters 5-11-26 + epsom salt. All available at customhydronutrients.
Might switch to jacks 5-12-26 only because I can pick it up locally. Both of them are complete hydroponic nutrient formulae, the 5-11-26 may need epsom for additional magnesium.
With the peters and yara I never ever have to fool with ph. Stuff just grows. Adding sea water last year they tasted good but the plants definitely were tortured by it.
This years experiments include sea90 added to bring chloride up to 100ppm or so for flavor. Should be below the yield.reduction threshold we will see.
Coir grow slabs, cause they are hassle free.and cheap.
Adding potassium sulfate to get potassium up to to levels useable by luxury potassium consumers. Running something like this this season, will ease in the salt after fruit set to increase sugar and acid levels in the tomato. I just watch the plants they will tell me if I am feedin too much or too little or if they are missing something.

N 190
P 40
K 350
Ca 170
Mg 50
Micros are in range when jacks or peters are used
You can make it as simple or complicated as you want

I think you will find the jacks or peters quite economical.

Hydrobuddy is what I use to calculate nutrient ppm. Lots of resources online about tomato hydroponic nutrient ppm requirements.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._VCzoiofAvnuhQ

http://tinyurl.com/ljlj785/

Dean
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote