Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default I need a favor!

I need a favor from anyone that hasn't started seeds yet, (can you hear me up north)?

What I would like if it isn't any trouble is for someone to document how much water they use from the time the seeds sprout till the time of plant out.
And how often they water the time between the watering and so forth.

With this information I would be able to automate a system to sprout seeds and keep them alive while I was gone.
I would need temps and how much water at each watering and what the set up is you would be using.

The more information I can get will allow me to punch it in and maybe make this work.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I need a favor from anyone that hasn't started seeds yet, (can you hear me up north)?

What I would like if it isn't any trouble is for someone to document how much water they use from the time the seeds sprout till the time of plant out.

With this information I would be able to automate a system to sprout seeds and keep them alive while I was gone.
I would need temps and how much water at each watering and what the set up is you would be using.

The more information I can get will allow me to punch it in and maybe make this work.

Worth

I can hear you loud and clear! And I'm assuming we're talking tomato seeds -- right?

I won't be starting mine until the end of March, but I can set up a table for tracking data on and try (emphasis on try, because I often get sidetracked and forget to keep records) to get you some data.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I can hear you loud and clear! And I'm assuming we're talking tomato seeds -- right?

I won't be starting mine until the end of March, but I can set up a table for tracking data on and try (emphasis on try, because I often get sidetracked and forget to keep records) to get you some data.
Yes tomato and pepper seeds.

Thank you.
What ever data is missing I can just average it out.

Worth
Old February 16, 2015   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes tomato and pepper seeds.

Thank you.
What ever data is missing I can just average it out.

Worth

Well then, since I just started my peppers yesterday, I better get going on that data collection sheet!
Old February 16, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

Before I leave again I am going to put some pepper seeds out in the garden under each drippier and see what happens this year.

Worth
Old February 16, 2015   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Worth
Wouldn't the relative humidity make a big difference?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Wouldn't the relative humidity make a big difference?

Okay, I'll add a column for that as well.
Old February 16, 2015   #8
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

How about setting up a shallow flood and drain basin on a timer for bottom watering? Let them drink all they want every other day or so.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #9
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
How about setting up a shallow flood and drain basin on a timer for bottom watering? Let them drink all they want every other day or so.

Rick

I was going to suggest something similar. That's basically how I water when I'm around. If you could figure out how to do it without your direct input you'd have it made. As long as it drains, there's no danger of overwatering.
Old February 16, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No matter how you guys do it post it if you please.
We will consider this a think tank, that is how things get done.
I have many options to consider and testing to be done between now and next year.
What is not an option is get a friend or neighbor.

Worth
Old February 16, 2015   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

This would also depend on the ambient air temperature and the type of media used to grow the plants in, too. There are going to be a lot of factors influencing just how much water and and how often they need it.
Have you looked at the OARDC's ( www.oardc.org.edu ) web site? they might have a lot of the information you are seeking. Every year is going to have different statistics, too and if they have this kind of information recorded there would be several years worth of data..

This sounds like an interesting project. How do northern statistics help you there? or is this not being used for where you are? Our environmental influence would be very different from yours. What about a soil moisture monitor/sensor? that is automated for coming on and turning off according to the sensor? But an ebb and flow system sounds the easiest to work with.
Old February 16, 2015   #12
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Worth check this out.
Homemade fill and drain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2701.JPG (86.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2702.JPG (82.1 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2703.JPG (32.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2704.JPG (63.2 KB, 185 views)

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, yeah Grow your own. Automated sounds really interesting and innovative. I'll PM you a different idea or two in a few days. Right now, I can't.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #14
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, yeah Grow your own. Automated sounds really interesting and innovative. I'll PM you a different idea or two in a few days. Right now, I can't.
Robert (Alittlesalt) your wording, "Worth, yeah Grow your own", sounds to me like you are implying I use it for something other than vegetables. Well I don't! I do not have an aversion to using methods that were developed for another purpose if it aids and provides me with better vegetables.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; February 17, 2015 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Grammer
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Dutch, I never thought about. Um wow. No
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote