Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2017   #76
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
In almost all cases, seeds of this one won't be any different. It looks better/different due to random variations in growth. But there is a tiny chance that this tomato looks different/better than the others because it has some small spontaneous mutation. This might be, for example, some mutation that allows it to utilize nutrients in a more effective way.

Mutations don't happen often. For example, how many Omar's Lebanese tomatoes were produced in the world before one came out heart-shaped? But it did happen. So there's that little bit of a chance, and that gives us a little bit of hope, that saving seed from the best might just maybe give an improved plant next year.

Nan
That is a great way to say it Nan. I was not going to eat this one anyway, because the smaller one that I removed two days earlier had very little flavor, and pretty bland. Chances are this one is a spitter too. What a perfect fruit to save seed from!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #77
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

First flush of fruit from one DLH plant- DTM = 92 days. Average weight is a little over one pound. Taste results coming soon- the first two fruit from the bottom of the plant had mixed reviews on flavor- the first smaller fruit was mealy and had no flavor, the second 2 lb. fruit that I posted about previously was delicious, and was shared with a large group at lunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 1 7-8-17.JPG (93.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DLH 2 7-8-17.JPG (101.0 KB, 83 views)
Old July 8, 2017   #78
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

they look beautiful. nice consistent shape too.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #79
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Freaking Awesome!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #80
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks KarenO and Marsha! BTW, are you growing a few of these in your fall rotation?
Old July 8, 2017   #81
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have two growing. got a later start than some of my others but about 3 feet tall, strong and starting to bloom.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #82
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I have two growing. got a later start than some of my others but about 3 feet tall, strong and starting to bloom.
KarenO
Excellent. One observation I have- DLH flowers are really small! Yet they produce really big fruit! I was beginning to wonder if I had the right variety early on. Pink Brandywines, for instance, usually have huge single and megablooms and these produce 1-1.5 lbs fruit. Let me know if you see the same thing..
Old July 8, 2017   #83
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks KarenO and Marsha! BTW, are you growing a few of these in your fall rotation?
I think so. I haven't made my final list. Should I use your or Dutch's seeds?
Old July 8, 2017   #84
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think so. I haven't made my final list. Should I use your or Dutch's seeds?
You can use either! I did have the one PL variant from his seed, which died due to TMV. It could have been a seed mix up on my part due to Terhune being next to it in the tray. But all of the other seeds from Dutch have grown true. The only thing I can add is that the germination rate for me was 6/16, and for others it has been lower than is typical. So you may want to sow quite a few just in case

Last edited by Spartanburg123; July 8, 2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added sentence
Old July 8, 2017   #85
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Default Uh Oh....

Quote:
Excellent. One observation I have- DLH flowers are really small! Yet they produce really big fruit! I was beginning to wonder if I had the right variety early on. Pink Brandywines, for instance, usually have huge single and megablooms and these produce 1-1.5 lbs fruit. Let me know if you see the same thing..
The blossoms on my DLH are about 3/4" wide when fully open. Not small...

It's possible there are variations due to growing conditions, but I can't think why my blossoms would be bigger. We had a month of rain after plant-out and now the plant is fighting off Septoria (better than others, I might add). The blossoms don't look dainty, but kind of rough. Unless they're all megablooms from the rain?

Oh, I really don't want it to be the wrong variety! Well, as a famous Book says, "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #86
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
The blossoms on my DLH are about 3/4" wide when fully open. Not small...

It's possible there are variations due to growing conditions, but I can't think why my blossoms would be bigger. We had a month of rain after plant-out and now the plant is fighting off Septoria (better than others, I might add). The blossoms don't look dainty, but kind of rough. Unless they're all megablooms from the rain?

Oh, I really don't want it to be the wrong variety! Well, as a famous Book says, "Ye shall know them by their fruits."

Nan
Hey Nan- no, I don't think you have the wrong variety LOL. I don't mean that they are micro-dwarf size or anything, but they are smaller than Terhune, Olive Hill, and some others I had growing around them. It could be the sheer number of blooms- or perhaps the sepals seem shorter than others? I don't know, but it's just amazing that a small flower could grow a behemoth like the ones I'm seeing

Oh, and I don't recall any megablooms on any of my three plants. I did have a few doubles, but nothing more than that. The shape has been very consistent, with no catfacing.

Last edited by Spartanburg123; July 8, 2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added another observation
Old July 8, 2017   #87
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You can use either! I did have the one PL variant from his seed, which died due to TMV. It could have been a seed mix up on my part due to Terhune being next to it in the tray. But all of the other seeds from Dutch have grown true. The only thing I can add is that the germination rate for me was 6/16, and for others it has been lower than is typical. So you may want to sow quite a few just in case
Good to know. I will.
Old July 8, 2017   #88
imp
Tomatovillian™

Consistent shape and good bottoms, no beef steak butt going on there!!! Yeah!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #89
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Consistent shape and good bottoms, no beef steak butt going on there!!! Yeah!
Imp- if you set the fruit down on the blossom end, and it sits flat, it's not a heart. It should roll over onto its side like a weeble.

Highly scientific procedure, dealing with such esoteric things as gravity, center of mass, gravity waves, etc.
Old July 8, 2017   #90
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Imp- if you set the fruit down on the blossom end, and it sits flat, it's not a heart. It should roll over onto its side like a weeble.

Highly scientific procedure, dealing with such esoteric things as gravity, center of mass, gravity waves, etc.
LOL, not to forget moon phase with the tidal pull, either.

Those are so looking good!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote