Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2015   #31
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing San Marzano Redorta Select, It is a tall vigorous plant, setting fruit well.
I may grow San Marzano no. 2, next year. Looks like the Franchi company in Italy only offers no 2 and Redorta.

Last edited by drew51; June 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #32
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing San Marzano for about 15 years or so now, as an Italiano it's a must for me lol.. They are always extremely productive, with two plants usually supplying more than we need; and plenty to freeze for the winter. I do occasionally run into some early BER but it always corrects itself in a week or two. IMO they're one of the best sauce tomatoes around, and I couldn't imagine doing without them. Last year the two of them were wiped out early due to Septoria, but I still managed to get a decent crop from them.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #33
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I grew San Marzano 2 last year. (Don't know if it's a real deal, some sources say it's no San Marzano at all...) The container probably was too small, but once the plant got going, it produced plenty of red sausages Some had to be picked and ripened indoors because of the frost, and the taste was excellent, both fresh and cooked.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #34
Sojourner
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a San Marzano for the first time this year. I usually grow Roma. Its doing really well, especially compared to the other variety I planted, a hot-weather/desert tolerant variety (supposedly) called Phoenix.

The Phoenix is doing practically nothing. Oh its put out a couple of shoots so far. Sulkily. Reluctantly.

The San Marzano, on the other hand, is about 3 times as big with much thicker stems and lots more growth. She is not shy, that San Marzano! Whadda tomato!

As for the Phoenix - whatta maroon!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #35
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Anybody know how big the dwarf SM plant gets?

If you mean SM Bush or Nano, I have one growing in a five galling grow bag and it's about three feet tall, bushy as can be, and loaded with greenies. I've tried several of the other SM varieties in the ground and they've all been a flop-little to no fruit set and tons of blossom end rot. So far the Nano/Bush plant is showing no signs of it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #36
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

480SojournerSAmerican0.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'm growing a San Marzano for the first time this year. I usually grow Roma. Its doing really well, especially compared to the other variety I planted, a hot-weather/desert tolerant variety (supposedly) called Phoenix.

The Phoenix is doing practically nothing. Oh its put out a couple of shoots so far. Sulkily. Reluctantly.

The San Marzano, on the other hand, is about 3 times as big with much thicker stems and lots more growth. She is not shy, that San Marzano! Whadda tomato!

As for the Phoenix - whatta maroon!
Ironically for you, a supposedly good tomato for high heat is Sojourner South American...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 480SojournerSAmerican1.jpg (13.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by korney19; June 30, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #37
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
If you mean SM Bush or Nano, I have one growing in a five galling grow bag and it's about three feet tall, bushy as can be, and loaded with greenies. I've tried several of the other SM varieties in the ground and they've all been a flop-little to no fruit set and tons of blossom end rot. So far the Nano/Bush plant is showing no signs of it.
The SM I'm growing has the dwarf gene and the uniform ripening gene. It's not available on a retail level. I haved a few others including Blocky Marzano, Marzano Grande, Pink San Marzano, Hi-Heat San Marzano, the Dwarf San Marzano, previously mentioned and another that escapes me at the moment...I think it has unique leaves or something.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote