Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2015   #1
Catherine+twin
Tomatovillian™

Default Whew! Our Miserable Heat Wave Broke

It started late last week, rising over 80 F on Thursday and Friday, breaking 90 on Saturday, baking us with a relentless 93 and 92 on Sunday and Monday, and a still unbearable 89 yesterday! Cloudless skies (dangerous for my strawberry blond twins!) and humidity in the single digits sucked the moisture from our skin and made my poor tomato plants droop even with deep drip watering. Clouds built late yesterday, with dry lightning and thunder, then evaporated. This evening, though, thin overcast became real clouds and it finally drizzled on us, producing enough to half-fill my rain barrel (maybe 0.1 inch in the rain guage). Wind has now chased the clouds away, but the moist air (35 % humidity) is making even the 68 F air feel cool. It's actually supposed to get down to 59 tonight, perfect sleeping weather!

At this point every window in the house is open, and the breeze is already cooling the bedrooms down for the first time since last week! Hey, my little 1949 house on a mountain side doesn't have air conditioning, other than the open doors and windows. We generally have about 2 weeks of unsleep-able nights in June, then the nights get back down into the low 60s/high 50s and the days in the mid to high 70s/occasional low 80s.

Of course, comfortable for people is not so great for tomatoes. I suspect they would like warmer nights for more of the summer, and for that matter a longer summer. It's no wonder that I grow varieties like Glacier.

Catherine in northern New Mexico, 7200 ft
Catherine+twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I hate hot weather ! I'll bet you have the twins covered in sunscreen ! Doncha just hate it when someone says, "But it's a dry heat"? HOT IS HOT !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

89 with 35% humidity sounds like heaven right about now. We've had heat indexes around 105 for the past two weeks. Supposed to break on Sunday.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #4
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

A picture is worth...
Attached Images
File Type: png weather.png (542.9 KB, 79 views)
Old June 25, 2015   #5
Catherine+twin
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I used to live out on the eastern plains in Colorado, high temperatures and moderate humidity until the monsoon season starts in late summer. I never lived where there were high temps and high humidity, though I've visited. I'm an arid southwest person, and I have come to love the cool mountain summer, except for the gardening challenges.

The kids and I pretty much bathe in sunscreen during the summer, that's for sure!

Catherine
Catherine+twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
A picture is worth...
Looks very similar to our weather up here in West WA. Our highs will be 91 to 95.
Amazingly our lows are almost the same as yours : A 30 degrees difference between highs and lows. So the soil temperatures won't build up. That is a plus.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #7
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Catherine

I used to live in Sterling Co. I remember the summers very very well. Hot and dry during the day then cooler at night. Sterling sits at 3,935 ft above sea level.
Old June 27, 2015   #8
JoParrott

Default call you and raise!

Gotcha beat--
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (104.6 KB, 31 views)