Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 26, 2020   #31
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Decision

I had two spots to fill, and I think I'm going with KARMA Miracle and Grub's Mystery Green. That doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions for future seasons. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; January 26, 2020 at 08:23 AM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2020   #32
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I haven't pruned EM-C, and I think you would greatly reduce yield. On the other hand, the plant doesn't get very wide or dense, so you might be able to contain it on a spiral.

Steve
I'll put it on the edge of the line where it will have more space.
Thank you. Vlado

Last edited by MrBig46; January 26, 2020 at 06:56 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2020   #33
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing KARMA Miracle too this season. I thought it was a cherry!!! Now I have back-tracked on this thread and learned that it's bigger. All good .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; January 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2020   #34
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I'll be growing KARMA Miracle too this season. I thought it was a cherry!!! Now I have back-tracked on this thread and learned that it's bigger. All good .

Linda
Linda, i may try Blush in the future. You also mentioned the Tigers. In my notes I have this quote from Charline in France: Very big tomatofest in Bruxelles, Belgium last weekend. Tomatolovers from all over Europe come to this event. There is a concours for the best tasting tomato and LUCKY TIGER won it…second place went to MAGLIA ROSA and third place to BLUSH.” Have you tried Lucky Tiger?
Old January 26, 2020   #35
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

No, I haven't tried Lucky Tiger yet. I'm growing it this season along with Blush and Maglia Rosa (both of which I love).

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2020   #36
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I had two spots to fill, and I think I'm going with KARMA Miracle and Grub's Mystery Green. That doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions for future seasons. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!

Steve

You THINK you may go with Grub's Mystery Green. It's still casting off enough variants, that I wouldn't consider it yet stable.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2020   #37
natural
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
You THINK you may go with Grub's Mystery Green. It's still casting off enough variants, that I wouldn't consider it yet stable.
That's the MYSTERY part
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020   #38
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Not sure about Blush, but if you want any kind of efficiency in plant size vs production, you should stay well clear of the tigers.
How big did EM-champion grow for you? I would like some seeds for my mother, she has best luck growing determinates in pots, more production per space, less watering needed also.
I can trade you her favourite, Maskotka, not sure if it's too compact for you however, it's a determinate and rugose leaf (dwarf gene), makes somewhat oblate and a bit ribbed 'cocktail' tomatoes, about 40-70g, the taste is truly very good, one of the top reds I have tasted, and performs well every year. I got my seeds from a trusted source, and it is stable but doesn't seem to align exactly with the description on the internet, which says it produces cherry and round sized.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020   #39
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Not sure about Blush, but if you want any kind of efficiency in plant size vs production, you should stay well clear of the tigers.
How big did EM-champion grow for you? I would like some seeds for my mother, she has best luck growing determinates in pots, more production per space, less watering needed also.
I can trade you her favourite, Maskotka, not sure if it's too compact for you however, it's a determinate and rugose leaf (dwarf gene), makes somewhat oblate and a bit ribbed 'cocktail' tomatoes, about 40-70g, the taste is truly very good, one of the top reds I have tasted, and performs well every year. I got my seeds from a trusted source, and it is stable but doesn't seem to align exactly with the description on the internet, which says it produces cherry and round sized.
Sending a PM.
Old January 31, 2020   #40
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

EM-Champion was under a meter.
Old January 31, 2020   #41
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

If you don't grow under cover and your climate is subject to heavy rain, I would second the recommendation to choose something other than Blush. Almost every fruit on the plant would split at the hint of a raindrop. I used to run out and see if any were near ripe and grab them, which was a shame because I prefer my tomatoes to ripen on the vine.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2020   #42
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
If you don't grow under cover and your climate is subject to heavy rain, I would second the recommendation to choose something other than Blush. Almost every fruit on the plant would split at the hint of a raindrop. I used to run out and see if any were near ripe and grab them, which was a shame because I prefer my tomatoes to ripen on the vine.

- Lisa
See my thread-starting post (:
Old February 6, 2020   #43
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine is a very good flavored red tomato that typically maxes out in the 4 to 5 ft range.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2020   #44
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Darrel. I'll look into that.

Steve
Old February 7, 2020   #45
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

MagiQo!!!
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote