Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 6, 2019   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default My Current Outdoor LED Lighting

I still have a few more tweaks to my lighting but figured I would post this now.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #2
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice job !
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2019   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Brilliant!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2019   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful and ingenious!

I can't do that in north Texas. The lights attract bugs. The bugs attract toads and frogs. The toads and frogs attract snakes. Some of the snakes attract me with my .22 revolver. Some of the snakes I really like and we get along well.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2019   #5
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Beautiful and ingenious!

I can't do that in north Texas. The lights attract bugs. The bugs attract toads and frogs. The toads and frogs attract snakes. Some of the snakes attract me with my .22 revolver. Some of the snakes I really like and we get along well.

For some odd reason, the LED's aren't attracting many bugs, most of my LED's are in the 2700k - 3000k range. I do see some around the pond lights, but having bugs around the pond is a good thing.

Wavelengths and color temperature:

The color that’s emitted from a light source is important because of its ability to attract bugs. As previously stated, shorter wavelengths (UV, blue, and green light) are more visible to bugs than longer wavelengths (yellow, orange, and red light) and, therefore, will attract them. Incandescent, compact fluorescent (CFL), halogen, and high-intensity discharge (HID) lights emit UV radiation that is attractive to bugs, and since certain types of bugs navigate by UV light from the sun and moon, a closer, brighter source of UV light can disrupt their orientation and draw them in. LEDs produce very little to no UV light, which makes them less visible to bugs. However, it is still possible for an LED bulb to produce shorter wavelengths of light (bluish white/cool white color), which will be more attractive to bugs. Therefore, when browsing for bug-resistant LED lights, it’s important to choose a bulb or fixture that emits more wavelengths that are above 550 nanometers, such as warm white, ultra warm white, or yellow lights.

Heat:

Incandescent, halogen, CFL, and HID bulbs waste most of the energy they consume—as much as 90 percent—in the form of heat. Bugs with thermal receptors can sense the heat released by these light sources. LED bulbs produce a minuscule amount of heat, which makes them less appealing to bugs.

Further reading here,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...act-bugs/1697/

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2019   #6
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I go out late at night with our dogs. We have motion detecting perimeter lights which are all LED. They do attract bugs when they activate. I carry a very powerful LED flash light which I use to scan the outer perimeter of our property for large predators like bob cats and coyotes. It also attracts bugs as I'm walking. The only thing I saw last night was a large possum calmly eating bugs. It is cicada season. Snakes and possums and coyotes lie in wait for them as they emerge from the soil.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote