Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 17, 2019   #1
shule1

Default Fresca strawberry history (and species)

What's the origin, and history, of the Fresca strawberry? I'm very curious about it (and also Tresca), since some people claim that it's a garden strawberry, traditionally grown from seed (Fragaria × ananassa), as opposed to an alpine-type (Frageria vesca), although at least one vendor claims that Fresca is Frageria vesca.

Anyway, Fragaria × ananassa is said to be octoploid, while Frageria vesca is said to be diploid. So, if Fresca is a regular garden strawberry, it must have taken a fascinating process to stabilize it (unless it's not stable). If it's just a large-fruited alpine type, then stabilizing it should have been as easy as stabilizing a tomato.

So, here are my ideas as to how they bred it:

1. It's neither Fragaria vesca nor Fragaria x ananassa, but some other kind of strawberry hybrid (probably a diploid one).
2. It's a very different sort of Fragaria vesca.
3. They altered a regular garden strawberry to change it so it only had one set of chromosomes, and then doubled its chromosomes (potentially multiple times).
4. They stabilized an octoploid.
5. It's not stable, but the traits are desirable enough to make it marketable anyway.
6. It's its own species altogether (and not a hybrid).

So, where does Fresca originate? When did it originate? Who bred it? How?

I read that Tresca comes from Poland (not sure about Fresca).

Has anyone actually grown Fresca, here? If so, did it keep fruiting for more than just a few years, or did it stop like regular strawberries do?

I'm growing Fresca and Tresca now (I've got seedlings, which I plan to grow indoors until the fall, spring, or so). So, if you don't know, hopefully we'll find out.

I understand anyone with the right kind of microscope can just look at a proper sample and count to see whether it's an octoploid or not. Has anyone here ever tried to do that sort of thing? That would be pretty cool to be able to know with certainty about any plant.

Last edited by shule1; July 17, 2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old July 20, 2019   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Fresca from seed, as well as other varieties. Fresca most certainly is NOT an alpine (F. vesca), or even a cross, because such crosses are difficult to make and don't produce OP seeds.
(I do have a Fragaria x vescana as well, that was a plant I purchased from a German speciality garden store)

Fresca seems to adapt well and either produce large vigorous bushes or also tiny more modest growth, depending on the soil and location.
It is an everbearing, meaning that it flowers all summer long. The fruits are pretty (and) sweet.
I certainly haven't looked it through a microscope lense, but given that Fresca seeds are widely in distribution and relatively inexpensive, I don't believe it can be a cross.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromosomes , history , strawberry