Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 18, 2020   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Nizami?

Does anyone have any information about this variety? There was a short thread about it in 2018 - where Marsha (Ginger2778) was looking for seeds. Marsha found seeds, because she later wrote:
“[rare!] A Russian orange heart – delicious! So Good! … This gorgeous orange heart is Nizami. Stingy on seeds, I think I will have to save from about 5 fruit. This was so hard to come by, and only 1 of 8 seeds germinated for me, but I got lucky. Thank you Shelley for the seeds, I'll pass it along, because it's sweet, meaty, and delicious.”

Maybe it's misspelled, because I can't find anything about it on the internet.

This should be a photo: http://tomatoville.com/attachment.ph...8&d=1546776213

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I requested and got those seeds from Marsha's seed offer-she even starred it on my list
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2020   #3
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I got seeds from Marsha last year as well and really enjoyed the tomatoes. The plant was a little less vigorous than some others I grew, but had a few nice flushes of fruit. Not as productive as Grightmire's Pride, Kosovo and some other heart types I've grown, but I'm definitely growing it again this year just for taste and lovely look of the tomatoes - rich and meaty, probably my favorite large yellow/orange tomato I've grown so far.

I also had Heart of Ashgabat (yellow heart) from her last year, but I planted out early and the seedling suffered and eventually died from the cold wet soil. I have 2 Ashgabat seeds left and will try again this year. I also received a pack of "orange heart" as a bonus from Tomato Growers, so we'll see how that compares.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2020   #4
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

zendog, was it a midseason or late for you? Just trying to take notes. I am trying it this year.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2020   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Nazami was not good for my garden. Wispy weak plant. Disease prone and I found the fruit mealy and bland. I think you may prefer heart if Ashgabat, much more productive. Plant held up well. Still mild but nice texture probably twice as many fruit on the Heart of Ashgabat plant in my garden.
For me, I won’t grow it again.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2020   #6
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
zendog, was it a midseason or late for you? Just trying to take notes. I am trying it this year.
Well, it wasn't particularly early like a few of my pink hearts usually are, like Fish Lake Oxheart, but not too late either.

I will agree that it wasn't the strongest or most vigorous or productive plant, but I found it worth it for the taste and rich, meaty flesh. It wasn't any more disease prone than others in my garden and it held out until frost, still producing. I'm growing Heart of Ashgabat this year to compare them.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020   #7
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Nazami was not good for my garden. Wispy weak plant. Disease prone and I found the fruit mealy and bland. I think you may prefer heart if Ashgabat, much more productive. Plant held up well. Still mild but nice texture probably twice as many fruit on the Heart of Ashgabat plant in my garden.
For me, I won’t grow it again.
KarenO
Thanks Karen. I have those seeds as well. I will grow for a comparison.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote