Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 19, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Kabocha squash

Picked up a fresh kabocha squash and some beef tri tip at the market today. Meat pie is imminent.

Old April 19, 2014   #2
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

That's a tasty looking squash.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I love kabocha squash! Are we going to see what you create with it? We had it the other night --

Peel, cube and steam the squash. Sautée onions, garlic and fresh rosemary in olive oil then toss in the squash. Spread the mixture on rolled out pizza dough, sprinkle with crumbled Gorgonzola and bake.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #4
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I love kabocha. I was thinking of trying to make a pumpkin pie or pudding out of it.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #5
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

simmered in soy sauce, brown sugar and a little rice wine vinegar is also delicious.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Kabocha is my very favorite squash. So sweet and dry. I eat other squash with brown sugar-cinnamon-butter. The kabocha doesn't need any sugar at all.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Kabocha is my very favorite squash. So sweet and dry. I eat other squash with brown sugar-cinnamon-butter. The kabocha doesn't need any sugar at all.
I grew up eating fresh squash from the garden. I like nearly all of them baked or pan-fried plain. No need to add anything -- maybe a little butter when served. For pan-fried I'd say patty-pan summer squash is my favorite. For baking the blue hubbard is at the top of my list. I eat and grow the others too. The only squash I don't care for is yellow crookneck.

Squash is also good as an ingredient in casseroles and savory pies -- the latter being a meat+squash "casserole" you bake in a pie shell. But since the pastry cooks in 10-15 minutes, the pie ingredients must be pre-cooked. My approach is to saute mushrooms, shallots, etc. along with small thin-sliced pieces of a high-quality meat such as tri-tip and perhaps some seasoning. The meat need only be cooked until it is medium rare. Then in a large bowl or Kitchen Aid mixer, blend the contents of the saute pan with the "meat" of a cooked squash such as Kabocha. Bake this mixture in a pie, top and bottom shell. I make my pie dough from scratch, following the Joy Of Cooking recipe.
Old April 19, 2014   #8
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I love kabocha. I was thinking of trying to make a pumpkin pie or pudding out of it.

Makes great pie and other pumpkin type baked goods.
Old April 19, 2014   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried Blue Hubbard,yet. I haven't had great luck trying to grow that species in my garden. I get kabocha from the Asian store.
I wish my husband liked squash. I don't eat it that often because I don't like fixing a meal just for me.
Old April 19, 2014   #10
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't tried Blue Hubbard,yet. I haven't had great luck trying to grow that species in my garden. I get kabocha from the Asian store.
I wish my husband liked squash. I don't eat it that often because I don't like fixing a meal just for me.
In Phoenix, it would require precise timing in the Fall for planting. However, you will be able to grow it at your new home!

BTW, we are enjoying bumper crops of exotic tomatoes grown in Phoenix right now in our local foodie markets.
Old April 19, 2014   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I didn't get anything planted when I should have this year. We've had an early spring so I could have planted out any time , even January which is what the big farms probably do.
Unlike most winter, we only had a single light freeze. I have a Matt's that survived the winter. Even my hyacinth vine survived and is now loaded with beans!
We're moving so I just got a few heirlooms and hybrids from HD, just because I can't live entirely without.
Old April 19, 2014   #12
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't get anything planted when I should have this year. We've had an early spring so I could have planted out any time , even January which is what the big farms probably do.
Unlike most winter, we only had a single light freeze. I have a Matt's that survived the winter. Even my hyacinth vine survived and is now loaded with beans!
We're moving so I just got a few heirlooms and hybrids from HD, just because I can't live entirely without.
Old April 19, 2014   #13
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

We grow it every year. Kabocha curry is something we kinda grew up with.

http://ankierenique.wordpress.com/20...pe-by-request/
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #14
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
We grow it every year. Kabocha curry is something we kinda grew up with.

http://ankierenique.wordpress.com/20...pe-by-request/
Thanks.
Old April 20, 2014   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Many Kabocha-type squash have skin that is soft enough to eat. Another reason to grow them.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote