Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 10, 2015   #1
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Default Southern Peas (Cowpeas)

We've got the space to try out some new southern peas this summer -- anyone have any faves to recommend?

(I'm with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange -- we've already carry a lot of ones like Big Red Ripper, Pinkeye Purple Hull, Mississippi Silver, Zipper Cream, White Acre, etc. -- http://www.southernexposure.com/vege...s-c-3_121.html -- I really love growing southern peas, would love ideas for new ones to look at!)
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I like pinkeye purplehull and zipper creams.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My favorite is White Acre, which is obviously already familiar to you. I only wish the aphids didn't like it. They are an aphid magnet.
Old March 10, 2015   #4
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I really like black eyed peas and the top pick pink eye purple hull peas. I grow some zipper cream peas last year and I don;t like those at all.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #5
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

The Purple eye Purple hull has a much better flavor than the Pink eye which was derived from it and if they have a trellis to climb, they will continue to produce peas until frost. Claud

This picture shows a double row of Pole beans, but if you look to the row on the right in the picture, that is Purple eye Purple hull peas. On the end of the row the peas are growing normally since there is no trellis available, but as soon as the trellis starts, the peas started climbing and took it over. Who knew.

And when I say climb, they grew to the top of the 7' trellis and back down to the ground producing peas all the way along until frost took them out.

Last edited by saltmarsh; March 10, 2015 at 06:26 PM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #6
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Prefer zipper cream but it doesn't look good none of the feed and seed stores
Have any. Plus the germination seems to get worse year after year. Last season being the worst. Otherwise I will plant pink eye purple hulls.
Old March 15, 2015   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Prefer zipper cream but it doesn't look good none of the feed and seed stores
Have any. Plus the germination seems to get worse year after year. Last season being the worst. Otherwise I will plant pink eye purple hulls.
Interesting you should mention that, my zipper creams had terrible germination last year as well. Maybe our seed was sourced from the same place?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
We've got the space to try out some new southern peas this summer -- anyone have any faves to recommend?

(I'm with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange -- we've already carry a lot of ones like Big Red Ripper, Pinkeye Purple Hull, Mississippi Silver, Zipper Cream, White Acre, etc. -- http://www.southernexposure.com/vege...s-c-3_121.html -- I really love growing southern peas, would love ideas for new ones to look at!)
I have a whole slew of Texas Cream if you want to try some of them. Just send me a few stamps to mail them. They held up good to the heat and humidity. Pretty tasty too I thought.

Now I know when people see the name Alaska Pea, they think it just a cold weather pea for that area. I found that it does well here in the South. It comes in early which is what I like about it so that you don't have to deal with bugs and disease.

I have plenty of them if a few other folks want to try them. I have bubblers, just need stamps to mail them.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #9
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

We carry Zipper Cream -- http://www.southernexposure.com/inde...&keyword=16116

I have been noticing the last few years that crowder type cowpeas (white and brown) seem to be more variable with their germ -- have noticed this with Colossus, Hercules, and Zipper Cream -- some of our growers pull off great-germing crops, while others get ones that come in just above standard or below it. (With one of these lots that germinated OK but not great in germination paper towels, when I later planted it out in last summer's cowpeas trials, it didn't have good vigor and had more spotty germination out in actual garden conditions; maybe we'll have to do additional potting soil tests to make sure of the seed vigor?)

My speculation = the big crowder types are more vulnerable to getting messed up by getting rained on as the seeds are drying down -- they'll get this kind of crinkly texture to the seed where you can crack them if you squeeze them hard...
Old March 16, 2015   #10
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ken, I have several cowpeas to trade. Two are true bush, have bi-colored seeds, and have a very short DTM. They were developed for Minnesota, but one of them has done well as far South as Texas, where they can get two consecutive crops. Another has light green peas that look almost like soybeans, and short runners. Send me a PM if you might be interested.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #11
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Starlight -- yeah, interested, will PM you! Do you know if you've got a particular variety of it? Victory seeds for example lists both Texas Cream 12 and Texas Cream 40 -- http://www.victoryseeds.com/Pea-Southern_c_368-2-3.html
Old March 16, 2015   #12
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, reading Victory Seeds' entry on Zipper Cream just now, they have this note: "'Zipper Cream' peas have a reputation for not tolerating damp soil." Maybe that explains the poor germ I had with last year's garden crop? They were at the wetter end of the patch...
Old March 16, 2015   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Starlight -- yeah, interested, will PM you! Do you know if you've got a particular variety of it? Victory seeds for example lists both Texas Cream 12 and Texas Cream 40 -- http://www.victoryseeds.com/Pea-Southern_c_368-2-3.html
Ken.. I have the Texas Cream 40.

I didn't even realize there was a 12. I looked through my peas seeds to see if I had something really different, but I don't as my two main peas are old heirlooms. One is a Heirloom Purple Hull Pea that came from Mississippi and is seed from the first Purple Hull that came out and mine has been passed down from a Native American Tribe who has kept it from being crossed with other peas that they shared with me, and the same goes for the Heirloom White Acre Pea I have.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #14
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

I'm a black crowder fan, myself. BTW, I just got my order from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange the other day for some various seeds.
linuxmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #15
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I've eaten more cow peas in my life than any cow! They have been a multiple times a week to daily staple in my house since I was kid.

My favorites to eat in order are Lady Cream Peas (a zipper cream that is maybe 1/2 the size of most cow peas. Tender, delicious) Purple hull peas (which I'm 99% certain are Pink Eye Purple Hulls) and brown Crowder peas (we just called them Crowders).

Growing wise, I've only grown Purple hulls. I don't really have space for them as the ones I grew were vining and climbed and ran all over everything. There may be some that are more bush like in growth habit - I'd check that out for sure.

In the end, when the farmers market less than a mile from house sells them shelled, in ziplock freezer bags full, and they taste the same as the ones I grew, I knew I was done growing them myself. The process of shelling them is a pain and I don't need the extra work for the same product . Now if you can grow them and taste better, that's worth it. That's why heirloom tomatoes are the greatest single thing a home gardener can grow, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Dewayne Mater

PS if I grow them again, it will be Crowders. Those are very rarely available in my neck of the woods anymore and are a very good cow pea.

PPS The history on these peas is interesting. The mostly came from Africa with slaves. Also, they have some protein, which is nice from a non animal source, if you are a vegetarian. (I'm not!)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote