Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 7, 2019   #1
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Default burpee gladiator hybrid

I bought burpee gladiator hybrid seeds today for next year and was wondering if I have chosen wisely.
The picture looked good.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Well, since you already bought it, you get a chance to find out, first hand. I have not grown it, but I have grown "Big Mama," and it did just fine. I'd go further -- I have *rarely* been disappointed in Burpee products. Grow it next season, and please let us know how it did for you.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes they think bigger is better for a front cover tomato, but the taste can be lacking with their large hybrid of the year feature. Production is usually high too, as is disease resistance, but just not a wow taste that we are used to. Whatever the size of your garden is, it would be fun to consider this purchase a trial and grow other varieties alongside for comparison.
I think it was Supersauce that I grew, and shared seeds with others that were similarly not impressed with the ordinary hybrid supermarket taste. The seeds were expensive but at that time the seeds were generously packed when you ordered direct, should you wabt to grow them en masse. Please keep good notes for us and hopefully this one is a good find!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #4
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I thought it was similar to a Italian heirloom I grew back in the 80's,but reading further
I see it is "only" 8oz and 73 days.
The tomato I grew was the same shape but 24oz 90days.
Old November 14, 2019   #5
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Ocean state joblot gets their burpee seeds for next year now and sells them for 40% off.
Only 1 row of that type tomato seed and they sold out already.