Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 23, 2018   #1
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default Small greenhouse suggestions

Looking for a greenhouse about 10 or 12 or 12 by 16 more or less. Harbor Freight has the 10 by 12 that can be reinforced but I want something that is not 10 1/2 feet tall and I don't want to dig a 2 foot hole to put it in. Any suggestions ?
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

you need to anchor it somehow and 2 and a half feet is good.if you can get it in that far.... and a bit larger rather than smaller is better. the air mass stays warmer longer at night time. and trust me... it will never be big enough.
Old August 23, 2018   #3
4season
Tomatovillian™

I can dig a hole 2 1/2 feet deep to put the greenhouse in. Almost a pit greenhouse. Do really want an old man to dig that much ? 13 cubic yards more or less.
Old August 23, 2018   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nooo noo! just pound the posts into the ground, no need to dig a hole for the house. the house needs to be anchored to the ground so it can't blow away in a big storm.
Old August 23, 2018   #5
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Hi 4season you might want to call Harbor freight and check, I think that when they say it's 10 1/2 feet tall it's the top of the roof the walls are probably 8 feet tall. I might be wrong. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018   #6
4season
Tomatovillian™

I know from viewing youtube videos that it needs solid attachment to the ground and some reinforcing structural additions. I will most likely dig the hole because I don't want the roof to stick up so high. From the pictures the walls are 8 feet, I would like 6 or even 4, I would be happy with a hoop but she doesn't want one.
Old August 23, 2018   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

You don't want the walls to be only 4' high if you are more than 4' tall yourself. the center should be at least 6' high. you will have to be bent over every time you go inside of it. you will want it at least a foot taller than you in the center. and 4 foot side walls are a waste of your structure if you put benches on the sides, it gives your plants no space to grow. even if you are planting in the ground you still need 6' sidewalls. most plants grow more than 4' tall

Last edited by clkeiper; August 23, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

Everything will be planted in the ground, no benches. If son wants to help we may build something otherwise I will dig a 2 foot trench for the foundation, I refuse to have 8 foot walls.
Old August 29, 2018   #9
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have had the Harbor Freight 10x12 here in Finland for seven years now. The side walls are 6’ 6” and I do really recommend it for the height of it. You may not get snow, but here the horizontal reinforcements are essential to prevent the greenhouse from collapsing under snow cover. People who have built lower greenhouses have had trouble since those are hard to reinforce, so that the additional structures are not in the way. I like that I can use the added reinforcement pipes for hanging baskets and tying support strings for tomatoes and cucumbers. I’m 5’ 6”, so I can just reach the pipes, which are at same height as the side walls. Right now most of my tomatoes have grown well above the side wall height, so I would be in trouble, if the greenhouse was lower.

Mine is built on concrete blocks, which are buried in the ground and above those there is a base made from pressure treated lumber instead of the steel base. The original steel base was rusted, when I opened the box, which had been transported over the Atlantic and kept in dry storage for three years. You can read here about my building project.

I do not really understand how would it work to use this greenhouse structure, so that the walls would sit in 2’ deep hole. To do that I would buy some greenhouse kit with 4' wall height and get the inside height taller by digging a hole and building the underground walls from concrete blocks or bricks and set the greenhouse on top of those.

Sari
Old August 29, 2018   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Chain link top rail is fairly cheap, about $1 per foot. I use 1.5" EMTs angles, one for the top and one cut in half to make two 45s for the sides, which slip into chain link posts. I'd guess your metal parts would run a couple hundred bucks, with lumber and poly covering you could build a sturdy structure that will last for years for under $500.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #11
4season
Tomatovillian™

Son and I went to the big box and bought a bunch of 2x4 and polycarbonate . Just have to put it together. Soon so it is ready for winter.
Old November 17, 2019   #12
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
Son and I went to the big box and bought a bunch of 2x4 and polycarbonate . Just have to put it together. Soon so it is ready for winter.
Where did you get the polycarb and is it single/twinwall/triplewall? Thanks.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019   #13
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Where did you get the polycarb and is it single/twinwall/triplewall? Thanks.

Hello Everybody!!!

You can find these types of Greenhouses at Home Depot, Lowes, or many garden shops. Many small garden shops will order for you. I am thankful for using them this year because I just found the cover that blows off last night. I am just putting the top back on. So with great structure support "stronger than the one that comes with it' works great.

MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2019   #14
4season
Tomatovillian™

Got it at Home Depot. Don't get the cheaper wavy stuff, it turns dark brown in our sun in a year or two. They only had single wall but there are people around that sell the double wall. I didn't look
Old November 17, 2019   #15
4season
Tomatovillian™

We are warm enough most winters that double wall isn't needed. A floating row cover in the greenhouse will almost always beenough.