Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2019   #571
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dan, I am just starting the first 17 (rrxrq F4)x blue beauty- F2. Since these are the first F2s I have grown out, just making sure...I plant many many seeds and cull mercilessly, right? Has anyone else grown this one yet?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #572
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Dan, I am just starting the first 17 (rrxrq F4)x blue beauty- F2. Since these are the first F2s I have grown out, just making sure...I plant many many seeds and cull mercilessly, right? Has anyone else grown this one yet?
Absolutely correct. Plant as many as you can and be ruthless. Only keep the very shortest, stockiest ones. Even those might get taller than you want. If you don't, they almost certainly will. When I micro hunt in F2s I end up with less than 5 plants out of 100 I originally started.

No one else has grown out that cross. I may have started a few before I realized how many I needed to start to find something worthwhile. I'll be interested in what you find. Hope I sent enough seed
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019   #573
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

You sent plenty. I have 120 going Will keep you posted.
Old January 15, 2019   #574
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Progress update-maybe this will help others growing out from the F2 stage. If anyone has any helpful pointers or guidance please chime in!

It is really helpful to be growing F2s directly next to other Micro multifloras that are almost stabilized (several micro varieties from F4 to F6s) to better compare desired heights.

Pic 1-on left,F4 seedlings where the height has been more or less stabilized, on right 156 seedlings of a different cross at F2. Both planted 1/7, Growth at 1 week. Time to start selecting for size
Pic 2 A bigger pic showing the same thing but just more of the larger F2 seedlings so you can see size variation
Pic 3- Trim time! snipped 101 seedlings at the base that were too tall.taller-using the F4s as a guide.
Pic 4- Now 49 seedlings left. Notice they are all approx the same height left side and right side. I will wait one more week then select out again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0722.jpg (316.5 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0719.jpg (309.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0726.jpg (322.3 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0725.jpg (296.8 KB, 312 views)
Old January 16, 2019   #575
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Progress update-maybe this will help others growing out from the F2 stage. If anyone has any helpful pointers or guidance please chime in!

It is really helpful to be growing F2s directly next to other Micro multifloras that are almost stabilized (several micro varieties from F4 to F6s) to better compare desired heights.

Pic 1-on left,F4 seedlings where the height has been more or less stabilized, on right 156 seedlings of a different cross at F2. Both planted 1/7, Growth at 1 week. Time to start selecting for size
Pic 2 A bigger pic showing the same thing but just more of the larger F2 seedlings so you can see size variation
Pic 3- Trim time! snipped 101 seedlings at the base that were too tall.taller-using the F4s as a guide.
Pic 4- Now 49 seedlings left. Notice they are all approx the same height left side and right side. I will wait one more week then select out again.
Thank you. You explained that much better than I ever have. When you pot them up, keep 2-3 times as many as you finally want then wait longer than you normally would for final selection. Some will still stretch out more than you want.
Old January 30, 2019   #576
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Me - I just sent a PM
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019   #577
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm looking for someone to trial a couple of multifloral Dwarfs

It seems over time this thread has morphed into more of a micro thread than dwarf thread. I want to divert back to dwarf for a bit.

I grew two multiflora dwarfs last summer that really impressed me. I'd like to find some folks who would like to grow out a few of one or both and see if we can find something special.

They were both dwarf plants - about 3 ft in height. They both had nice sized cherry fruits - one was red w/yellow stripes - the other was purple w/green stripes. They both were very multiflora, had very heavy production and were extremely tasty (especially the red/yellow one, which was very sweet).

The red/yellow is an F3 and the purple/green is an F5, so they will not necessarily be identical to their mama. I am sure they will be dwarf and quite sure they will be multiflora. They should be multicolored - hopefully similar to their mamas. It is the production and flavor I really want to get fixed. Both plants were very healthy. I don't have many disease problems, so I don't know how tolerant they are to anything.

PM me if you are interested and would be willing to grow out a few, keep notes, report back and return seed from anything that is really good.

Thanks - Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dwf 13X F5 71-2a.jpg (327.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg dwf 13X F5 71-2.jpg (291.1 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Dwf 13X F3-1-1.jpg (354.6 KB, 268 views)
Old January 31, 2019   #578
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

How did those dwarfs do regarding splitting? The red/gold sounds very interesting. Size looks great.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #579
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
How did those dwarfs do regarding splitting? The red/gold sounds very interesting. Size looks great.
I hate those that you can't pick without splitting. I won't save seed from anything that splits badly. That's not to say they won't split under the right circumstances, but these didn't have that problem.
Old October 15, 2019   #580
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I am also resurrecting this thread to learn if there is anyone who is still growing offspring of any of the crosses I have sent out. Are there any out there worth growing? If so, what are they like? What generation are they? How’s the productivity and flavor? Either way, thanks for your involvement.

I have several lines I am working with that are approaching stability. My plan is to have some of those ready to ask people to trial next spring. Stay tuned!

In the meantime…….. I’m starting a new micro thread hoping to find a BLT worthy micro. Hopefully, there will be folks interested in helping with that search.
Old December 11, 2019   #581
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks Mischka and everyone who has worked over the years to make Tomatoville a pleasant place to learn (with a special thanks to Carolyn).

I have learned a tremendous amount at Tomatoville and have enjoyed the willingness of members to share – information – seeds – whatever. One of the main things I have learned is how much I still don’t know.

I would appreciate it if anyone who is still growing any of the crosses I sent out would contact me at danbfollett@gmail.com if you find anything you feel worth pursuing. I would like to see what has been found and stabilized. I would also be happy to send seeds to others interested in trying to find unique or interesting micros (and maybe a dwarf or two).
Old December 11, 2019   #582
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dan for all you have done and shared.
We will figure something out over the up-coming holidays how to keep going
in collaboration and communication.
I have avoided all the social media venues but will research something simple.
Maybe Instagram since it can be a choice to 'stop by' once in a while...
Pictures are the best documentation for me anyway.

I'll think about it....
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2019   #583
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Thanks Dan for all you have done and shared.
We will figure something out over the up-coming holidays how to keep going
in collaboration and communication.
I have avoided all the social media venues but will research something simple.
Maybe Instagram since it can be a choice to 'stop by' once in a while...
Pictures are the best documentation for me anyway.

I'll think about it....
Thank you Oakley for your posts. I've enjoyed what you have shared. When you get a chance, I'd like to try those lines you are still growing.
Old July 10, 2021   #584
KLeonard88
Tomatovillian™

How are things going with the lines? I'm really interested in growing developing multiflora micro/dwarf tomatoes. Tried to buy some this year from a US vendor but they sent me an empty packet with refund on it!
KLeonard88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2023   #585
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Any news about this interesting Multiflora dwarf/micro project?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote