Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2006   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Anyone growing pasture?

I got seed from Cecil, who got seed from Carolyn. Its a red cherry that is supposedly a huge plant that puts out a lot of fruit. Mine is true to form so far, is setting a lot of fruit and is my biggest plant so far. Anyone else growing it?
Old May 31, 2006   #2
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Not growing it, this year; but still looking for volunteers from last year. Glad yours is growing good.

CECIL
Old May 31, 2006   #3
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it! I got some seed from Cecil too. I have wanted to try pasture since reading about it in Carolyn's book. I want to grow "rampant cherries" over my chicken pens. I originally got some seed from Earl but I could not get it to germinate. I think this was some of the older seed from Carolyn. I'm not really sure how to treat those older seeds. Anyway, I have 5 good plants going and I gave away another 5. Thanks Cecil, Earl and Carolyn!
Old May 31, 2006   #4
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Default seed trading

I'm fairly new here, and I haven't researched the archives, but what is the proper etiquette for requesting seed? This won't be an issue until later, of course, but if one person has 7 or 8 varieties for trade that I'd like, and they have seed for all the varieties I've saved, is it okay to ask for a few of their varieties when I have nothing to exchange?
Old May 31, 2006   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: seed trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppereater
I'm fairly new here, and I haven't researched the archives, but what is the proper etiquette for requesting seed? This won't be an issue until later, of course, but if one person has 7 or 8 varieties for trade that I'd like, and they have seed for all the varieties I've saved, is it okay to ask for a few of their varieties when I have nothing to exchange?

I am new here too, but I noticed on the index page near the bottom , a "Seed Exchange" divided in to two areas. One for what you are looking for and one for what you have. That is probably a good place to post what you want. As far as etiquette, if you have nothing to trade...I have no idea.

CECIL
Old May 31, 2006   #6
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Cecil. I will have things to exchange, including flowering plants and other things than tomatoes. I'll keep an eye on the seed exchange, I've not visited that section as I was late joining, and had no reason to request seed.
Happy gardening!
Old May 31, 2006   #7
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

sorry, guys, I thought I was starting a new topic. Anyone else hit "start new topic" and wind up posting in the original topic?
Old May 31, 2006   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Pepper-many of us are more than happy to send a sample of a variety or two or three to someone who wants it badly-as Cecil did with Pasture-my recollection is that he did not require, nor ask, for a trade. Same with Carolyn and Craig, and many other folks, including me.
Old June 1, 2006   #9
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Pasture

My Pasture from Cecil's seeds is tall but not wide plant. It is in a 4 gal container and is yielding below average for a cherry for me. I just spread out some seeds to dry after the fermented for 4 days. I should have some to trade in about a week. If you want to try it for a fall crop let me know.

Michael 8)
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2006   #10
cowpoke
Tomatovillian™

I got my seed from Carolyn two years ago. I planted one outside and had about fifty-sixty fruits on several spawling vines. I overwintered one plant in a large concrete urn in my garage in a west facing window this past winter and ate my first fruit of this year on April 15. So far I have had about a dozen fruit this Spring. That plant looks to be on its last legs though every so often it sends out another stem.

I have mixed feelings about Pasture. It is relatively prolific and sprawling but the flavor leaves something to be desired IMHO. I favor sweet cherries like Sungold and Sunsugar. I would rate Sallisaw Cafe, Reisentraube, Sweet 100 among red cherries above Pasture in taste.
cowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2006   #11
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Cowpoke - I agree on the taste. Below overage for a red cherry.Riesentraub, SunCherry, and Sweet Chelsea all taste better to me. Only Ceylon tasted worse in my recollection.

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019   #12
shule1

Maybe it tastes better in the west, the north, or in an area with dry air. Carolyn seemed to like the taste, anyhow (I believe she lived in New York and even Colorado for a time—tell me if I'm wrong).

Does anyone still grow Pasture?