Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old September 22, 2018   #256
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I noticed that about it when I made it, I left out the allspice and cloves. I thought it came out awesome for the first time but I need to try a few different recipes. I noticed many variations looking for recipes.
Old September 23, 2018   #257
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

i use to live in Dallas in the late 80's early 90's. I miss the food. Never went to a
bad restaurant. Sooo good!
Now Virginia is a different story. Can't find good Mexican food. Actually it's
hard for me to recommend a good restaurant here.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #258
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am working with a feller from the rural part of Virginia not the DC area.
For those of you in the area you know what I mean.
It is the same in Texas too.

This guy has no idea nor does he know anything about Mexican food not a clue.

Hands down for people in the know and I know a lot of people in the know.
The best tacos come from south Texas and the coast not central Texas and beyond.
All of us complain about how small and crappy they are here.
People that haven't experienced the tacos and food from that area are missing out big time.
All of the so called complainers are Latino and from the Brownsville area.
All in their early 20's
For some stupid reason Austin is known for the breakfast taco.
I have no idea why because the big percentage of them are wee things over priced and suck.
There are places that make their own tortillas, 'corn and flour, but they are far and few between.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #259
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
i use to live in Dallas in the late 80's early 90's. I miss the food. Never went to a
bad restaurant. Sooo good!
Now Virginia is a different story. Can't find good Mexican food. Actually it's
hard for me to recommend a good restaurant here.
These aren't Mexican but were my favorites when I lived in Norfolk.

Philly Style Steaks & Subs. They had the best Philly cheesesteaks. They actually used thin sliced ribeyes and you couldn't beat a hot off the grill sandwich.

Azalea Inn & Time Out Sports Bar was another place I loved. Best pizza and Greek/Italian food in Hampton Roads. They make everything from scratch. I could live on their Greek salad, pizza and Spanakopita.

I also ate a bunch of Cal'z while I was there. I see Duck Inn is closed now but they had awesome stuffed flounder. I can't remember eating Mexican food when I was there but I know I did.
Old September 23, 2018   #260
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
These aren't Mexican but were my favorites when I lived in Norfolk.

Philly Style Steaks & Subs. They had the best Philly cheesesteaks. They actually used thin sliced ribeyes and you couldn't beat a hot off the grill sandwich.

Azalea Inn & Time Out Sports Bar was another place I loved. Best pizza and Greek/Italian food in Hampton Roads. They make everything from scratch. I could live on their Greek salad, pizza and Spanakopita.

I also ate a bunch of Cal'z while I was there. I see Duck Inn is closed now but they had awesome stuffed flounder. I can't remember eating Mexican food when I was there but I know I did.
Thanks Rajun. I haven't been to either one of those, and I've been here over 20 years
now. Is Louisiana your home state? I was born in New Orleans, but raised in Southern
Calfornia, so I have some Cajun Blood in me from my fathers side.

Worth, I remember passing through el paso on the way to California, late 80's. My
mother and I stopped at a Mexican restaurant off the 10 freeway. It was a Sunday
and lots of people at the restaurant. It was very cheap in price and the food was
delicious. The owners greeted you as you left. Very nice atmosphere. Everybody
was Mexican, including the owners. I blended right in because I'm half Honduran.
Old September 23, 2018   #261
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Louisiana is home, born and raised in the heart of Cajun Country. Lafayette which is also called the Hub City.

I tried some Cajun dishes at a few restaurants while stationed at NAS and they were so spicy I couldn't eat it so I can't recommend any to try.

One of the best prime rib steaks I have ever eaten was at Tidewater park. I went to see Darryl Strawberry play and sat in the clubhouse, I couldn't resist the smell coming from the kitchen.

It's bugging me that I can't remember eating Mexican there so I had to do some searches. I think it was El Azteca on Little Creek rd.

I lived on Tulane Rd in Norfolk if you can believe that, HA! But I always stayed around that area because there were so many restaurants that you didn't need to drive far looking.

This one sounds so much better and authentic compared to the chain restaurants. You have to take comments with a grain of salt, if people have only had Taco Bell then they expect taco bell grade. Read some of the comments and maybe give it a try, it can't hurt but once, LOL!!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-la...nda-chesapeake

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; September 23, 2018 at 06:31 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #262
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I use to work at NAS Norfolk. This weekend was Oceana’s air show..
Thanks for the suggestions. El azteca is a chain restaurant, not that good.
I may check out the one in Chesapeake, that might be good.
Old October 13, 2019   #263
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Tacos al carbon.

Today will be my version of Tacos al Carbon.
Not fajitas because to me a fajita is a flank or skirt steak.
Mine will be made from some nice fatty chuck steak I picked up for over two dollars less per pound than skirt steak and more flavorful and tender too.
The rest is about the same.
Pico de Gallo AKA (Beak of the rooster, salsa fresca, salsa cruda) .
Which will be made from.
Fresh Jalapeno.
Chopped onion.
Cilantro
Tomato.
Lime juice.
Other toppings will include.
Sour cream.
Monterrey jack cheese.
Diced firm avocado, not mushy avocado.
The chuck steak will be cooked on an open fire on a hot grill outside with salt and black pepper, rare,
Old October 13, 2019   #264
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pico ready meat ready.
IMG_20191013_25739.jpg
Old October 13, 2019   #265
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yummy yum yum.
Celebrating the cool weather in high fashion.

Tacos al carbon.
IMG_20191013_46459.jpg

IMG_20191013_5298.jpg

IMG_20191013_16904.jpg

IMG_20191013_29850.jpg

IMG_20191013_40992.jpg

IMG_20191013_51339.jpg

IMG_20191013_0424.jpg
Old October 13, 2019   #266
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Our son was stationed on a nuclear submarine for many years. We would visit him and his family in New London Connecticut when he was in port. We tried and tried to find decent Mexican food in the area. It didn't exist. I didn't really mind because I also like good Italian food and they have an unlimited supply in Connecticut.

Our son became addicted to boiled crawfish when we lived in Louisiana. Couldn't find that in Connecticut either. He and some friends would call a restaurant in New Orleans. The restaurant would boil the crawfish and air freight it to New London. It would arrive in a cooler still hot from the cooking. That's what you call home delivery.

Last edited by DonDuck; October 13, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019   #267
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That fajita looks good!!! It's also a taco, anything that goes in a tortilla is a taco to me but I'm just a Cajun who loves Tex-Mex!!!
Old October 13, 2019   #268
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Our son was stationed on a nuclear submarine for many years. We would visit him and his family in New London Connecticut when he was in port. We tried and tried to find decent Mexican food in the area. It didn't exist. I didn't really mind because I also like good Italian food and they have an unlimited supply in Connecticut.

Our son became addicted to boiled crawfish when we lived in Louisiana. Couldn't find that in Connecticut either. He and some friends would call a restaurant in New Orleans. The restaurant would boil the crawfish and air freight it to New London. It would arrive in a cooler still hot from the cooking. That's what you call home delivery.
Learn to find the local specialties of where you are at. Give them a try instead of trying to find what you want that is specialized in another area. In CT, you need to go for the lobster rolls and steamed cheeseburgers. Freaking awesome!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019   #269
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post

It is gosh darnoodley near impossible to have a real Philly cheese steak if you are more than 50-60 miles away from Philly. There is a certain roll and a cooking method that just are not found further away than that. The substituted roll is usually the game killer for me, not the same - you need Amaroso rolls. Second, yes it must be chopped rib-eye and it needs to be further chopped and mutilated while cooking and mixing in with the cheese. Third, there is no such thing as green peppers and mushrooms on a real Philly cheesesteak which most out-of-area restaurants put on by default. Onion is usually the only optional ingredient (wit or wit-out).
Finally, a genuine Philly cheesesteak is only chopped steak (rib-eye), cheese and a roll. Everything else added is by choice of the eater. Usually anything else, besides the onions, and it becomes a "Cheesesteak Hoagie" and not a "Phillly Cheesesteak".

Last edited by rhines81; October 13, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2019   #270
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

And I don't believe a real Gyro exists with the real meats and sauce outside of the middle east and Mediterranean countries. To taste right, it must include lamb and other meats cooked on a rotating spit.

Beef on Wick with Au Jus sauce in little towns south of Buffalo, New York. "Beef and Barrel" in Olean, New York always had the best.

In Philly, didn't they dip the the Philly cheese steaks in Au Jus sauce? I seem to remember them asking if you want it wet or dry.

Last edited by DonDuck; October 13, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote