Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 4, 2015   #106
bower
Tomatovillian™

OMG Karen, they are humongous!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #107
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

They are gorgeous, and you are KILLING me!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #108
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

The Glory of PL !!
Old July 5, 2015   #109
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic looking maters!
Midnight Suns is stripy?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #110
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Fantastic looking maters!
Midnight Suns is stripy?
Midnight sun was a yellow and pink (clear epidermis) bicolour last year
. Remains to be seen what they are this year I guess. I am only at F3 so there could still be a fair bit of segregation although I am hoping for Bicolour on some of the 12 again to select the best and carry forward to the F4
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #111
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Wow! The suspense must be terrible. It's difficult enough to wait for a tomato to ripen when you know or have a good idea of what it will look like. But when you've bred them and you're waiting to see if they turn out the way you hope...I can only imagine. They look huge...but if you go from the transplant date, how many days would that be?They seem quite early, which I know was the idea...but I'm still really amazed. That is just so cool!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #112
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Transplanted from the greenhouse to the garden on about May 26, but they were large plants, 2.5 feet tall and blooming a couple of small fruit set on some of the plants at transplant time. Seed was down March 26. Transplants were right about 8 weeks old at plant out. They are now about 4.5 feet tall, they are now 43 days from transplant.
Found a Polaris blushing in the open garden today which surprised me. It's not as big as these, might just be a fluke that's it's turning already. Earlier than last year by a month or so which is weird. It's been hot and sunny here. Also drier than normal although I water faithfully so the plants have never been dry
Old July 6, 2015   #113
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A Polaris out in the open garden surprising me by blushing today 43 days from transplant of large blooming 8 week old seedlings. Looks like it will be the clear epidermis black it should be. Not very big, this one roundish but blunt hearts too on the plant

Freakishly early IMO.
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.1 KB, 229 views)
Old July 6, 2015   #114
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful, first one of the season!

Old July 6, 2015   #115
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's awesome, Karen. Small one, ha ha! Looks decent size to me. You'll be tasting it so soon!
My brother in Calgary was telling me about the heat you've been getting up there... nice! to speed up the process, eh.
Old July 6, 2015   #116
Dane S
Tomatovillian™

Love ur hearts Karen. Very pretty especially ur midnight sun. Also the black without green shoulders never seen that b4. Looking forward to the colors that come in this f3.
Dane S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #117
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That's awesome, Karen. Small one, ha ha! Looks decent size to me. You'll be tasting it so soon!
My brother in Calgary was telling me about the heat you've been getting up there... nice! to speed up the process, eh.
Was very hot here a week or so ago for sure. It's also been dry here to requiring watering every day or two that's why wonder if its just a fluke for this one. It set in the GH before transplant then got hailed on then the heat. Bit of stress might have made it ripen early. Overall The plants look pretty good although lots of the last flush of blooms didn't set in the heat. They are starting to bloom again now.
KarenO
Old July 9, 2015   #118
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Not the prettiest tomatoes on the plants but they are beautiful in my eyes. The first F3 fruits, nearly ripe and the colours are more or less as expected. Clockwise from the top Top is Tundra, a ribbed black. then the big yellow heart is midnight sun, not ripe and will show the bicolour. bottom is the smooth shouldered black I call polaris and then another midnight sun, riper, showing the bicolour better
There are many better looking tomatoes on the plants but these first ones are special I think.
The seed was sown March 26. 104 days ago from today, July 9th and the plants were transplanted May 26 out into an unprotected open community garden plot outdoors in Zone 3. That was 44 days ago.
It has been cold at night early on then dry, hot and they have been hailed on. I was surprised all three have a ripening one so early. This also goes to my argument against removing early blossoms before transplanting. All of these would have set before transplant outside.
I think we might have 3 good Canadian tomatoes here. Now hurry up and finish ripening so I can have a taste
size reference: smallest is 5.5 oz, the largest is the Tundra at the top at 12.8 oz. the large bicolour is 12.6 oz.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first ripe fruits.jpg (41.8 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by KarenO; July 9, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old July 9, 2015   #119
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

They look very pretty. When you will be tasting them please take pictures of slices for us. Enjoy!

Old July 9, 2015   #120
bower
Tomatovillian™

I don't know what kind of DTM people get down south, but in my books, 104 days from seed is very early for a large tomato, no matter how it was grown. Kudos!
Oy, and... they're beautiful.