Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 22, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Muddy Bucket Farm 2015 Spring Tour

Thought I'd show a few pictures of how the garden is coming along. So far, so good. I've had to do quite a bit of watering to keep things alive, but the recent rain was slow and soaked in well. However, it looks like the forecast may not be in my favor (as far as the water bill is concerned). But, the cost of water is much less than the cost of those "cardboard fakes" sold in the grocery stores.

Anyhow, here's a look at the almost full garden. It's 33 feet by 102 feet. I've kept it down to 8 rows. There's Clemson Spineless Okra, Blue Lake Bush Beans, White Half Runner Bush Beans, Detroit Beets, Hybrid Cabbage, and Cucumbers (pickle and table types) in addition to the tomato plants. I've also included a couple pictures of my grapes and the wild Blackberries that are plentiful here.

Please, enjoy the tour.

First of all, is the view I have to endure while working in the garden (or sitting in the living room). You know, somebody has to suffer this kind of pain.

TheView.JPG

My garden is on a slope with very little flat level places. Here's a look at the top rows.

TjopRows.JPG

And here's the lower rows, including the one I'm currently filling up with tomato plants.

Fillingup.JPG

Out there beyond the Beets is the half row devoted to Dwarf tomatoes.

Dwarfrow.JPG

Here's those mature hybrid plants I buy each year to get early tomatoes. There are three in the main garden and one in a container up next to the main house

Hybrids.JPG
Container.JPG

We have a good looking start for the grapes. Now if the Japanese Beetles and June Bugs will leave them alone .......

Grapes1.JPG
Grapes2.JPG

We put some cucumbers in large tubs next to some salvaged cattle panels - both Pickling and Burpless types.

Pickles.JPG
Burpless.JPG

One of the really great positives here is the large patches of wild Blackberries. I prefer jams and jellies made from them and can pick a few gallons without losing sight of the house. Last year, while picking, I found a small patch of wild raspberries.

BlackBerries1.JPG
BlackBerries2.JPG
BlackBerries3.JPG

In the end, I always have extra plants left over. Here's the current potential giveaways. I've already given away several dozen to family and most of my neighbors. My neighbors refer to me now as the "Tomatoman".

Leftovers.JPG

And, finally, I can't help but show off my little friends who have set up house under my used lumber pile. They are getting more and more tame - slower to run and hide when I go outside. They are only about 50 feet from the back door. My problem with them now is my little Yorkshire Terrier thinks they are potential friends. I may have to encourage these "watchers" to move on for the sake of my dog's safety. She keeps wanting to run over to the Mother and her two babies to see if they want to play. Somehow, I don't think the groundhogs will see it that way. This is the momma on the right and one of the twin babies on the left.

Watching.JPG

I used to hunt and eat groundhogs. But I think these furballs are not in any danger from me as long as my DW thinks they are "CUTE". Now, she also thinks the squirrels that eat all our apples before they get ripe are "CUTE".

Take care
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #2
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

Wish I had that much space to roam. Beautiful!

...of course I'd be planting way to many tomatoes! .
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Man o man Ted i wish i had beautiful land like that. The farm looks amazing. Im almost done cataloging all the seed you sent me. Cant wait to grow and share seeds with the masses. Thanks again.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #4
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Ted, Really a beautiful view and your garden looks great! The groundhogs
are cute (I've always called them "woodchucks"). I've had to put down ground
wire to keep them out of the garden, though. It extends up the deer fencing
and about 30" on the ground.

Hope you have a great season! Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #5
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden and plants Ted. I love the scenery, such peaceful pastures! Have a great summer!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #6
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden Sir!
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Looking great, Ted! Thanks for the tour, I hope you have a super season.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

What an awesome landscape you have. I would love to have such a great garden in those surroundings.
Old May 23, 2015   #9
peppero
Tomatovillian™

VERY NICE Ted!

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #10
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Nice garden. Pretty countryside.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #11
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Nice spread Ted! I like the name too- Muddy Bucket Farm!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Looking good man. Had me scared for a moment till the picture with the tomato in the container appeared. Getting ready to do my plant out this week at work and at the house.

Ami
Old May 23, 2015   #13
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice Ted. Japanese Beetles will make cheesecloth out of your grape leaves if you don't go after them. How's the magnolia tree doing?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Looking good man. Had me scared for a moment till the picture with the tomato in the container appeared. Getting ready to do my plant out this week at work and at the house.

Ami
Hey, Ted. I have three containers going right now. Tomorrow, there will be several more for the rest of the leftovers. To date, I've given away more than 10 dozen plants and there will be approximately 4 dozen more going out tomorrow. I have 130 in the ground, with about 15 left to go on the "must" list. If I can't give the remainder away, I'll fill in a few in the main garden.

Good to see you are able to get your two locations out instead of watching the snow like you have to do sometimes. Hope this finds you healthy and still moving on with your two gardens. BTW, this year I am finally growing the seed you sent me for Admiralteyskoe Serdtse. Still very vigorous growth and two nice plants are in the main garden. Thanks again for sending out quality stuff.

Take care of yourself.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 23, 2015   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Looks nice Ted. Japanese Beetles will make cheesecloth out of your grape leaves if you don't go after them. How's the magnolia tree doing?
Howdy, Dusty. That magnolia tree is doing fine. It really loves its location and you can see it somewhat in the second picture (the top rows of the garden). That dark patch at the top of the picture is the shade from it. The left side of that shadow is where the Blackberries are growing.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch