Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 18, 2014   #151
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I think micro-tom has three (d, sp and mnt), as an example. All contribute to the micro qualities. I haven't paid too much attention to the determinate trait though now that I think about it.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2014   #152
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

On their way in today's mail. I sent the "micro-multiflora" cross. 30-40 F3 seeds maybe. Grow as many as you can/want. I believe it should be fixed for the micro and multiflora traits. Please post pix and notes in this thread when appropriate!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I am not new to tomatoes, but am new to crossing and to micro-tomatoes. I made a few crosses in the garden this summer and am going to grow out several F1s inside this winter to have a jump on next summer. I would love to try some. I should have room for quite a few 6-8" pots. I'd be happy to report back results and return seed for anything that you have interest in. If interested, I'll send SASE for seed if needed.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old October 18, 2014   #153
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I think micro-tom has three (d, sp and mnt), as an example. All contribute to the micro qualities. I haven't paid too much attention to the determinate trait though now that I think about it.
I tend to consider the determinate/indeterminate (sp) trait as distinct from the dwarfing traits, though it does assist in producing a small plant. I had assumed the 'sd' trait was involved in micro-tom/red-robin/tiny-tim, as it isn't associated with reduced flowering/yield seen with the 'mnt' trait.

It would be simple to confirm the genes involved in different micro lines are the same (as differences in causal genes would result in F1s showing much larger growth due to compensation), but confirming the traits are due to specific reported genes would require the slightly harder task of finding one of the research lines in which those genes were identified.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2014   #154
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure it's actually been proven that Micro-Tom caries mnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I tend to consider the determinate/indeterminate (sp) trait as distinct from the dwarfing traits, though it does assist in producing a small plant. I had assumed the 'sd' trait was involved in micro-tom/red-robin/tiny-tim, as it isn't associated with reduced flowering/yield seen with the 'mnt' trait.

It would be simple to confirm the genes involved in different micro lines are the same (as differences in causal genes would result in F1s showing much larger growth due to compensation), but confirming the traits are due to specific reported genes would require the slightly harder task of finding one of the research lines in which those genes were identified.

Old October 18, 2014   #155
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I have a line derived from Besser that appears to be a single gene. The plants grow like miniature christmas trees about 12 to 14 inches tall. It is interesting because most of the micro varieties I've seen sprawl where this one is erect.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2014   #156
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Received them yesterday. Thanks. Will keep you posted. Going to try to grow 15 or so initially.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2014   #157
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've sent out a few packets now. Anyone else interested in a winter growout? A sunny window and a promise to send back seed is all that is required.

I'm keen to keep working on the micro-multiflora right now but have plenty of others at various stages as well. PM me, if interested!

Old November 11, 2014   #158
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I can't grow on a large scale at all Chris, but I am missing my garden and greenhouse and was thinking about growing some micros under lights over winter indoors. I don't have seed for any good ones though, just tiny Tim and red robin. I'd love some seed and I'd be happy to report to you on how they do
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2014   #159
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

So i got 15 seeds in some media today of the F4RRSUF3-11 hopefully all of them germinate. Chris can you tell me more about the variety you sent me?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2014   #160
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, thought I did! Those are F4 seed of (Red Robin x Sungold F1) F3 plant #11

That F3 was a compact plant with dark orange fruit, finely cut leaves and the Sungold leaf smell. I would use that smell as a marker for any of the F4 plants you save. Select for the smallest plants, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
So i got 15 seeds in some media today of the F4RRSUF3-11 hopefully all of them germinate. Chris can you tell me more about the variety you sent me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRSUF3-11.jpg (146.4 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by ChrisK; November 15, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old November 15, 2014   #161
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Sorry, thought I did! Those are F4 seed of (Red Robin x Sungold F1) F3 plant #11

That F3 was a compact plant with dark orange fruit, finely cut leaves and the Sungold leaf smell. I would use that smell as a marker for any of the F4 plants you save. Select for the smallest plants, too!
Right on the packet did say f4 and mentioned sungold other than that i wad clueless. Im on the search for the sungold smelling micro plant Cant wait to get some germination happening. If by chance some dont germinate i will just plant more......maybe i will just plant more anyway. Thanks
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old November 15, 2014   #162
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Fresh seeds so should get nearly 100% germ. within a week or so.

That F3 plant was good enough to cross to my variegated line and an antho line. Looking forward to what you get out of the F4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Right on the packet did say f4 and mentioned sungold other than that i wad clueless. Im on the search for the sungold smelling micro plant Cant wait to get some germination happening. If by chance some dont germinate i will just plant more......maybe i will just plant more anyway. Thanks

Old November 15, 2014   #163
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Chris is that a little antho i spy on the f3 pic you posted?
Old November 15, 2014   #164
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

No. That plant was crossed with an antho line so wont show until the later generations.

Old November 16, 2014   #165
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I had decided to cut back on the number of varieties I grow but I keep going back to this post. I have become very fond of the dwarfs and I would lie to try growing some. Right now my tomato plants are loaded with tomatoes but it is suppose to be in the 30s for two night next week.

I start my spring crop in late December since I can plant them out at the end of February. If I had these seeds I could start now. I have 7 shelves of grow lights and only have four in use at the moment.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote