Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 16, 2018   #421
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

3 months later...

The drought was broken in September. It turned out to be the wettest September on record here. It was followed by the wettest October on record here. Way too wet for tomato plants - I should have planted rice
This week, we had days of temperatures in the low 20s and 30s. Today has finally warmed up into the 60s, I'm cleaning out the few remaining plants that froze hard. The mix in the buckets is still very cold. I just checked the mix temperature with a meat thermometer and it quickly dropped to 40F. I wish I had thought of checking the pro mix temperature when the air temperature was in the 20s.

With all of the rain in September and October - there's no way to know if RKN/FW3 could have splashed up into the buckets. I'm thinking that the pro mix temperature going below freezing is a good thing? Even during last year's very warm winter - there were two 3-day stretches of continuous freezing temperatures.

I didn't drill holes in 4 buckets and the mix is soaking wet. I will be drilling holes in them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #422
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

YEAR TWO:

I am waking this thread back up. It's 2019, wake up you sleepy heads

Last year, I was so depressed trying to go from growing in the ground for so many years - to growing in containers. I had never grown in containers.

I found myself replying to a thread tonight, and realized I learned a whole lot last year. I also realized that I shouldn't reply to that thread because I have built up some vigor that didn't agree with that thread.

"I am not a scientific person. I trust what feels and smells right to me - which might make me sound foolish. 2018 was my first attempt at using mixes in containers. I saw what happened with different mixes. The words "Professional" and "Pro Mix" do not mean anything to me. Neither does a brand name. You have to feel it and understand it, and amend it correctly as you know best, and learn along the way.

I bought some transplants and have some that I started way too late. I'll bet they kick some arse because I know they will barring a late frost."

I have made a lot of changes, and I will be using liquid fertilizer that AKmark pointed out. You have to understand what is normal and then you go with your gut, and take advice and learn from it.
Old April 15, 2019   #423
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Salt,
I consider my situation to be very similar. Progress not perfection !!! Besides, it's supposed to be fun. The folks here have been very kind and helpful. Good luck and grow,grow,grow.
Aloha,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019   #424
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tom, I agree with all of your points. Most importantly is the fact that people are so friendly and helpful here. Yes, it is supposed to be fun growing/gardening. I have a saying-like thing...If it's too hot, cold, windy, or wet then whatever can wait until the weather is better - I want to enjoy gardening. Of course, there are exceptions like covering the plants so a frost/freeze doesn't get them.

The best of luck.
Old April 15, 2019   #425
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Todays NFT 8ft rail installation

So I finally decided on my layout. It's still a work in progress. But going forward on this lettuce project. These rails are great for getting seedlings to the pre pot up stage too.
Aloha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190415_090755.jpg (452.8 KB, 102 views)
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #426
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tom, I've been reading your thread. It looks cool to me.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 16, 2019 at 01:11 AM.
Old April 16, 2019   #427
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I planted the 20 five gallon buckets today (Monday April 15). All the time while having the weather on listening to perfect weather conditions for growing tomato and pepper plants... Being that it is now midnight Tuesday April 16th - the forecast has changed to an enhanced level 3 thunderstorm day Wednesday the 17th. With golf ball sized hail and tornadoes and...

That gives me a day to get protection ready. I do have some cages that I used for pepper plants in years past in the in-ground garden. I can Clorox those cages and alter them to fit inside the 5 gallon buckets with cloth covers to protect the newly planted plants. The buckets wont blow over as they have stakes driven down around them. If a tornado happens, who cares about the plants.
Old April 16, 2019   #428
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had forgotten about one set of cages that fit perfectly around the outside of the buckets. That saved a lot of time and effort. I'm covering the cages with old bed sheets that are in the wash now with laundry soap and bleach just in case. Oh, the sheets are stored in our open faced gardening barn/shed, so there is dust on them. I don't know if RKN and/or FW3 gets in blowing dust/dirt or not, so that's why I'm washing them. I'll post a picture when I'm done.
Old April 16, 2019   #429
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is what our grandson called a Dragon years ago. The sheets were put on now for the picture to show here, and for me to see that I washed enough sheets. The sheets have been removed and won't be put on until they are needed. You'll notice how one end is open - it won't be like that when I set up the dragons for the storms. I have used this method for years out in the in-ground garden, and so far, it has always worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0072.JPG (63.1 KB, 68 views)
Old April 16, 2019   #430
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with the weather, Salt.

I hope it misses you... or better yet, I hope the severe weather fizzles out.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #431
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I like the dragons.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019   #432
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you both. I'm hoping it doesn't develop at all. I watched ABC, NBC, and FOX local weather and they are all in agreement...which they are saying that the storms will be here after 5pm. High winds and large hail is the main concern according to them.

The shorter cages work well for supporting the dragons to cover smaller plants without the sheet touching the plants at all. I don't know if you can see them in the picture, but the sheets are well pinned down by clothespins.

Later, the small temporary cages are replaced with larger tomato cages. The same sheets and clothespins make a really good shade when the temperatures get above 100F. The summers here are hot, but not every summer is the same. Protection from too much heat is basically the same thing as protecting plants from frost and freeze. You do what you can to help the plants.
Old April 16, 2019   #433
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Well I hope everyone & everything ride out the storm okay, and here's hoping you get your best harvest ever Salt. After all that work and dedication you deserve it
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #434
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Good Luck, Robert. FIngers crossed.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #435
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Sue. My fingers are crossed on those storms, but nature happens.

Dedication is a strong word. I wanted to give up before trying, and yet, I couldn't let RKN and FW3 win. Peebee, thank you. I believe in what I am doing.